Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    colours mean jack in our trade. especially low voltage. dont think of each wire as a colour think of it as a reason for being there and its purpose. I had a customer argue with me saying to me that this wire is for that terminal because it shows it in the diagram. i guess he didnt want heat oh well. I ended up convincing him when turned on the furnace and he had heat and then he asked me how come i knew that. i smiled, gave him the invoice had him sign and walked away. old people are hard to deal with sometimes.

I dont want to give it away. seeing a thermostat is not a way for us to say which wire goes where Hint hint
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

4 wires hooked up tells me something is wrong. You really need a 7+ wire cable or a IAQ/wireless stat for this do be done right. looks like the installer didn't want to pull a new wire.. Have them hook up the C terminal when they pull the new wire so your thermostat won't rely on batteries for power.

iceman

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-23-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by W4NMT View Post
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Exactly, I DO have w2 and y2 they just didn't run the new wire and hook them up. They set it up for 1 stage. The contractor sold me a 2stage system with a 2 stage stat. Am I unreasonable to assume/expect they would run the proper wires to use the s stage stat? I don't think so! They guy comes out tomorrow. I won't accept less than a properly functioning 2 stage stat set up. From what I can see looking at the control board, the furnace is also not wired to the w2 and y2, and I doubt the a/c is. Lazy, unconcerned, or not trained.....none of those is good and I will let them know I am unhappy about it. Maybe I can get a second year of service contract thrown in when I express concern about the rest of the install......
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-23-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Removed quote of Non Pro * Member

W4NMT, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

They will come tomorrow and pull a new wire. Can the "c" always be connected, or does it need anything else special done to it. Hopefully he will have the right wire when he comes so i can ask about the C terminal. I called to see if I can get upgrade to the next level stat that has humidity control. He says we might it be able to because,it wasn't specified and this job has been approved by the state already for rebates and financing. Says they might not be able to do it.....I think it depends on whether he wants to do the work to have the specs changed and to get the new stat from supplier. (vision pro 8000 th8320 upgrade slightly to th8321...$ difference on amazon.)
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-24-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: price difference

C is constant connection, no special wiring required.

You should have at least 3 wires to outdoor unit if straight ac and at least 6 if heat pump and at least 7 to thermostat 8 if common is used and 8 if heat pump (9 if common is used)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12