Is this thermostat wired right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this thermostat wired right?

This is the th-8320 thermostat by Honeywell, visionpro 8000. I looked up the website and noticed the wiring diagram shows wires for Y2 and w2. I remembered only seeing the 4 wires from our old stat when he went to install the new one. I thought nothing of it and didn't watch to see how or if he programmed it (didn't realize it required all that).

After seeing the diagram I went and checked and I think I am only wired to run the stages off the furnace, that the stat isn't doing anything special as is. Am I correct? The hvac co is sending out a field supervisor to check it. What is the
    Lint of this stat if it is not wired for stages?
    I'm trying to figure out to post pic I took on my iPad....
    Thoughts?

Do you have a 2 stage furnace and 2 stage A/C?
    If not then you're fine, if you do, then your situation isn't ideal, as the furnace is timing 2nd stage heat based on demand. They might have wired your AC to run on high all the time as well.
    Deal with the contractor, show him what you've found.
    If you only have 4 wires to your stat then they'll either have to pull more wire which can be prohibitively difficult or change stat to a wireless option since 4 Isnt enough

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    If not then you're fine, if you do, then your situation isn't ideal, as the furnace is timing 2nd stage heat based on demand. They might have wired your AC to run on high all the time as well.
    If you only have 4 wires to your stat then they'll either have to pull more wire which can be prohibitively difficult or change stat to a wireless option since 4 Isnt enough
    I'm trying the pic again now....They charged me for this thermostat that if I'm only using 4 wires I don't need. Am I correct in that statement? My old stat was programmable for weekdays and weekends with wake, leave, return and sleep.

An option would be to locate the stat in a room easier to reach from the furnace, but it is the family room which is usually the coolest room in the house because it is in the bck (front faces south) and the only room on a slab. Rest is basement.

When you sell someone a 2 stage HEAT and COOL and a stat capable of controlling 2 stages, it should, imo, be wired as such. I don't think I'm asking too much. Here is the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IAQ only used 3 wires. IAQ 2.0 only uses 2.

If you payed for a 2 stage A/C, then you should get it.
    As far as the furnace, there could be an arguement that you still have a 2-stage furnace using that thermostat.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I did get a 2 stage ac, so i want the proper functioning stat. I found the stat wire in basement. It is easy, wire along ceiling (unfinished) and up into dining room wall. It can't be hard at all to,fish that wire up there using the same hole. I could probably do it! Wonder if they were lazy, didn't know better to wire up that stat for that system. Honestly, I think they wanted to call it done...doesn't make me happy, especially when I kept saying " how can I tell if it's first or second stage" and they said on if it's 10 degrees (or so) it will know to,go to second and if it's just a small difference in temp it will start up in first stage ....maybe, BUT not wired THAT way! Am I right that how it's wired it won't work how they said? I just want to be positive so I know what to ask for when the supv comes. Thank you!

Did you use the low bidder
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    IAQ only used 3 wires. IAQ 2.0 only uses 2.

If you payed for a 2 stage A/C, then you should get it.
    As far as the furnace, there could be an arguement that you still have a 2-stage furnace using that thermostat.
    That's dynamite... He said pro8000 not IAQ

The bottom line is if you have 2 stage equipment then it should be wired as such. The price difference between the single stage and 2 stage model pro8000 is about the same as 5 gallons of gas.

It sounds like you already had the answer to your question before you posted on here.

The bottom line is if you have 2 stage equipment then it should be wired as such. The price difference between the single stage and 2 stage model pro8000 is about the same as 5 gallons of gas.

It sounds like you already had the answer to your question before you posted on here.
    Yes, just making sure....I'm afraid they will try to convince me it's correct so I wanted to confirm my thoughts.

Not low bidder. This was actually the highest bidder whose bid I initially discarded but then contacted after time went by before I decided and summer was winding down. They agreed to do it in Sept for a lower price. In the end they were still probably a middle bidder. The amount the lowered the bid was more than the new a/c would have saved over the summer. It's 2-stage heat 2 stage ac Carrier Performance level (not infinity!) w/10 year parts and labor. BIG reputable company around here, Presidents Award (partly sales based award?), factory authorized, Nate. I think I should not have had them do it on gorgeous Friday!

House was busy today. They finished up the hvac, installed Navien and the air sealer/insulation got done. It's a whole energy star package. Hope I notice a difference!

To sum it up....I will not accept the way it is wired unless someone here tells me I'm wrong.

In order to get the rated SEER from the unit both stages must work correctly. If it's wired to be in high all the time you just dropped to 15 SEER or so. Dual stage operation is the difference between 15 SEER and 16 SEER+ units. EER is practically the same for either unit.

"If you only have 4 wires to your stat then they'll either have to pull more wire which can be prohibitively difficult or change stat to a wireless option since 4 Isnt enough"

Or change it to an IAQ, because you would have enough wires using it, and gain more options.

I'd want it changed.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Then he pays more. Much more.
    Check your wholesaler for the price on an IAQ compared to a pro8
    For the same price you can go wireless and have something expandable in the future

Looks to me like there's a couple more wires in the wall that have nuts on them.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Looks to me like there's a couple more wires in the wall that have nuts on them.
    I wish. If you look you can see there is a white wire in a nut, but no white wire connected. The white wire is actually connected to the black wire inside the nut. I remember seeing that and the guy mentioned it that the wire colors didn't match up. That's how the old one was wired I think....with the white becoming black. Can't think of what the other one would be right now, could be a fifth wire not previously used or another old wire connected to a different color. Would 5 do the trick? I wasn't sure based on the manual, but it looks like the 2 heat stages can be wired together.

Realized today he did leave the install instruction booklet. I went in the install menu.....did not change a thing, but using the setup menus I could see is coded in as 1 stage heat and 1 stage air. I didnt go any further than that stage of the menus and clicked done to exit and leave all as he set it. I do think it was the least senior guy on the job who did it and maybe he didn't think to ask the other guys....but then again, when they wired in the furnace they should have known they needed other wires....it should not be difficult to fix, but a pain for me to around for them to come back.

QUESTION: I'm pretty sure the furnace is wired wrong and needs more wires....I have no idea about the ac. How many wires does that need? I want to be informed and ask the right questions. Does the stat wire to the furnace and then the ac wire comes from the furnace? Would that wire be one wire per stage...and what else?

I am NOT happy. Most people would never know about this error and I just wonder if it was laziness thinking I'd never notice, or an honest mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast