+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this class description sound basic?

Post Likes

Does this class description sound basic?

I am 26 yrs old. I have been working as a Maryland HVAC apprentice for 6 months with little prior training. I found a course which is offered next month, it is one of six courses offered to graduate from the community college. The courses are offered offsite at there skilled trades center. For each course completed you earn a college certificate and at the end of the 6 courses you can earn the diploma. Here is the course description copy and pasted. I also will attach a link. I plan on taking a CFC prep course in 2 weeks at another school, at the end of the two weeks you take the CFC exam.

Description:
    This course is the first level of the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum for HVAC/R students. Students will be introduced to career opportunities in the HVAC/R field, tools of the trade and trade mathematics. Other topics include copper and plastic piping practices, soldering and brazing and ferrous metal piping practices. This course is equivalent to the Fast Track technical trade program offered in the public schools. Textbook required at first class.

http://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_Cou...eID=6442454779

My problem: Having been on the job since April/May, I already know how to braze and solder, I have been on 25 installations. I know how to use the tools, and it sounds basic ,but I want the certifications and diploma for the future.

Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    I am sorry in this sounds offensive , but it is not i assure you.

So let me get this straight!

Since you already have like 150 days experience as a helper, you feel as if you no longer need to waste your time in class anymore?

Post Likes
    I hope your joking because that is not what I am saying at all. Thanks for the reply.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    I hope your joking because that is not what I am saying at all. Thanks for the reply.
    It sure sounds like what you're saying.

Post Likes
    I plan on being in the classroom for years to come, in this field you can spend a lifetime learning..I just thought this class sounded a tad bit rudimentary.. I know 150 days is not much ,but I have covered the initial basics outside the classroom. I appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It sure sounds like what you're saying.
    then maybe I should delete this post and rephrase the message I was trying to convey.

Post Likes
    Here's a recipe for some success in this trade.

Go to EVERY class that you can.
    Work EVERY shift and job you can.
    Listen to EVERY old, grumpy service guy you can. Heck, buy him a coffee and a donut. He might take pity on you and teach you something.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER, think that you know everything.

Post Likes
    I plan on being in the classroom for years to come, in this field you can spend a lifetime learning..I just thought this class sounded a tad bit rudimentary.. I know 150 days is not much ,but I have covered the initial basics outside the classroom. I appreciate it.
    Well, that sounds better.

Even the most rudimentary class can teach you something.

Promise.

Post Likes
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Here's a recipe for some success in this trade.

Go to EVERY class that you can.
    Work EVERY shift and job you can.
    Listen to EVERY old, grumpy service guy you can. Heck, buy him a coffee and a donut. He might take pity on you and teach you something.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER, think that you know everything.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Not sure but sounds like a couple of old, grumpy service guys trying to get a coffee and donut here.

But, they are very correct, every oppurtunity you can you should try to attend if you can. Even the most basic course has info that can be learned or relearned. Just remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some may be better than others and someone teaching such a basic class may very well have a better way that you had not seen or thought about. Not to mention you will meet other people in the trade and make contacts that you can carry through your carreer.

So quit being a bone head and suck it up...
    Work smarter not harder.

Post Likes
    So you can braze? Can you you re wire something from scratch of a wire diagram?
    I am young like you but have WAY more experience then you and credential then you and. I am going to George brown in October and taking a workshop at carrier tommorow. You never stop learning in this trade. Take as much training you can get it will make you a better tech

Post Likes
    pgcc is not a very good choice, catonsville or nova if u want to get your moneys worth and creditable skills that result in better pay, troubleshooting, also sign up for 602 apprentiship

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0682 View Post
    Not sure but sounds like a couple of old, grumpy service guys trying to get a coffee and donut here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    So you can braze? Can you you re wire something from scratch of a wire diagram?
    I am young like you but have WAY more experience then you and credential then you and. I am going to George brown in October and taking a workshop at carrier tommorow. You never stop learning in this trade. Take as much training you can get it will make you a better tech
    I am actually working in the field, I was involved in two installations today and lunch on the boss, jealous much?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by partime59 View Post
    pgcc is not a very good choice, catonsville or nova if u want to get your moneys worth and creditable skills that result in better pay, troubleshooting, also sign up for 602 apprentiship
    I have two buddies who went to PGCC and now work for AIRTEMP. It really comes down to what you put into it. My father happens to be a Master technician so I have him at my disposal 24 hours a day. Catonsville and Nova are too far, especially with rush-hour traffic. I already have an apprenticeship, but if I did't 602 steam fitters would be a good choice.

Post Likes
    you want to be a 'tech' or mecahnic?

Rest assure you may think you know how to braze 'an all.......but I think you know better than make that statement.

Post Likes
    ThE best thing is when U finaly know everything or believe u do u will realize that it's not what u know it's who u Know,,

or u better have a good thing
    watch episode 20 how i met your mother

Post Likes
    I would take the class. I had been in the trade for 2 years before I took my first class and I learned something at every class that I took. Now I am enrolled in my 150 hr HVAC electrical code class, we are working out of the NEC code book and I am learning many things a night that I am there. I wish that I was younger when I got in the field because now that I am married with two children time is alot harder to come by but you only get out of life what you put in. So take the class even if you think it is basic because everything is a stepping stone. Good Luck

Post Likes
    a picture is worth a thousand words!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    I am sorry in this sounds offensive , but it is not i assure you.

So let me get this straight!

Since you already have like 150 days experience as a helper, you feel as if you no longer need to waste your time in class anymore?

Post Likes
    I have two buddies who went to PGCC and now work for AIRTEMP. It really comes down to what you put into it. My father happens to be a Master technician so I have him at my disposal 24 hours a day. Catonsville and Nova are too far, especially with rush-hour traffic. I already have an apprenticeship, but if I did't 602 steam fitters would be a good choice.
    What happens when DADDY gets sick of you.?
    I'm already sick of you and I'm just looking at your picture. Just kidding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in