Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

638B and whats with the one hour lunch

8AM to 5PM is this crap floating or what...good lets all leave the city at one time and get home at 7PM
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I only get a half hour for lunch.

misery loves company
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

the book says one hour with 8 to 5...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I only take a half hour. I usually work 8 to 4:30 Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm forced to take a half hour.

I work 7ish to 3ish. Sometimes I get lunch, sometimes not. Or like a lot of guys it's a sandwich in one hand and the wheel in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettinvr6sc View Post
    I only take a half hour. I usually work 8 to 4:30 Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm forced to take a half hour.
    I hated 8 to 4:30.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Sandwich and wheel and/or wrench.

I thought I heard from one of my previous employers that it was against the law to not take a lunch.. Maybe thats only NJ?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I haven't read the new handbook maxster but sounds like a bunch of pish if you ask me.. I was gone from 638 for 2 years. I come back and office visit co-pay went from $5 to $30 and ER Co-pay went from $35 to $100. Doesn't look like scale jumped up much either. Most shop stewards in 638 shops are nothing but titles and extra cash in the pocket. I think HVAC techs need their OWN union in NY to be successful or you get these new stupid new rules like 1 hour lunch lol. I rarely take 30min lunch and work 7-3:30 on a normal day. I think It comes down to if your company makes you take the hour or they know your a good worker and will put in your 8 hours a day regardless.. I think this rule was made by owners to keep techs in the city longer imo.. Its the usual thing.. who cares about the techs.. its all about the pipefitters type union and will always be until we get a union of our own...

Back in the late 70's early 80's when I was 638B the "B" local was called the shop hands local. And it was for men that worked in the shop or in supply houses , so the 8:00 to 5:00 with one hour lunch was normal working hours. Maybe it has just carried over through the years. We use to actually lock the doors to the parts counter at the Carrier distributor in L.I.C to get our one hour lunch.
    I do not think there are any more 638B supply house workers.

Smile

638 member for 32 years.

The union contract hours were always 8 to 5 since I've been a member with a one hour lunch. Our hours were based on the aveage 9 to 5 office job so we are available for customers that work the 9 to 5 hours. Since we service end was never considered a construction trade these were the hours.

The fitters (A) and other trades were always considered constuction based on a 7 hour day.

Since there day was shorter and we work on some of these constuction jobs, lunch was cut to 30 minutes instead of an hour. It pretty much was adopted and kept that way.

A matter a fact when I worked on constuction jobs, our boss made us stay after the other trades left for the day at 3:30 and we stayed to 4:30.

Electricians wanted to be payed OT for temporary lighting! So when they killed the power our day was done anyhow until the battery powerd tools arrived.
    "My hands are for sale"

is your shop hiring or do you know of any 638 b shops hiring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast