Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I wouldn't trust anything an online quote said. They didn't see the house, so they don't know enough about it to give any type of an accurate quote.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What is wrong with your current A/C?
    +1 for the online quote, no way it can be accurate.

Online quote= deskimate= trouble!!! You need someone to come out look, evaluate, and design the "system" you want. What your wanting is not a unit change out. It's a great set up when done rite, best of both worlds, and an on going nightmare when it's not. Good luck.

The current AC and Furnace are both 17 years old and the AC needs freon added each year due to a leak in the coil.

From reading on this forum I have found that the Goodman brand was supposedly on the lower end but has a decent warranty. The company I got the online quote from is one that has been around for a while and a decent rep. I would not have any company install an AC or furnace based off of an online quote. I did that to see what the price of a Goodman system would be compared to two quotes I got when we first moved into our house for a Bryant and Lennox systems.

Look at the Rheem/Ruud/Thermalzone line. Better quality than Goodman/generics, but less expensive than the top brands.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Look at the Rheem/Ruud/Thermalzone line. Better quality than Goodman/generics, but less expensive than the top brands.
    How is their warranty compared to the Goodman brand and do the have a two stage HP?

Where would Amanna be compared to Goodman Rheem/Ruud? They have a lifetime warranty correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    How is their warranty compared to the Goodman brand and do the have a two stage HP?

Where would Amanna be compared to Goodman Rheem/Ruud? They have a lifetime warranty correct?

Thanks
    http://www.rheem.com/products/heatin...ng/heat_pumps/

Amana is the same as Goodman.

Thanks
    Amana is owned by goodman which is owned by daikin, a Japanese company

FWIW I had a 3 ton unit and downsized to a 2 ton single stage. Keeps the house 75 when it's 100 outside, good enough for me. if you are willing to be a little warm inside on the hottest afternoons you can get the humidity removal of the 2 stage with the purchase price of a single stage. You're basically buying "stage 1" of a 2 stage system. A 3ton 2speed 16+ SEER unit will have about the same power bill as a 2 ton single stage 15 SEER unit.

I would love to have a system that would keep the inside at 75 when the outside is 100! Our current setpoint is 77 and the unit struggles when it was 98 for a couple of days.

I have been doing some leak sealing around the house and my last two big leaks are the rim joist in the basement and two pocket doors that allow attic air down.

I would love to have a system that would keep the inside at 75 when the outside is 100! Our current setpoint is 77 and the unit struggles when it was 98 for a couple of days.

I have been doing some leak sealing around the house and my last two big leaks are the rim joist in the basement and two pocket doors that allow attic air down.
    Make sure when you get an in home quote you let the company know that your current a/c has not been keeping the temp in the house at the desired level.

Things to consider:
    Your a/c and furnace are more than just a box.
    Is your ductwork correctly sized and installed
    Is your system correctly sized for the conditions you desire. You'll need to state an outdoor temp and indoor temp. Example, I want it 70* inside on a 100* day.
    Are you concerned about the level of indoor humidity
    Is indoor air quality a concern. Example, your daughter has asthma
    Is sizing you system based on the current condition of the house appropriate. Example, you need attic insulation and weather sealing around doors and windows.

Make a list of what your concerns and interest are and present this to the estimator. When the person presents their solutions to you make them explain exactly why, because I think it needs it is not an acceptable answer. Example, you need a new furnace with variable speed drive, why, because in order to match the system and get your rebate we need to meet the seer criteria please look at these sheets that show what seer you will receive without this unit.

Get estimates and don't even look at the price, focus on experience and quality, use the contractor locator on this site to see if someone is in your area.

Good Luck

I already have some specs for future contractors to give me quotes on.

95% 2-stage furnace w/ecm motor, and 15-16 SEER Heat Pump. (2-stage compressor if the cost makes it worth it)

Of course I will have a Manual J and D done. If I get the house tight enough I'm hoping to be able to drop down to a 2-ton unit which I believe should have no problem with my current ducts but a manual D will find out.

Humidity has not been a problem but I may see what a whole house dehumidifier would run for the light load days.

I know the contractor makes all the difference but unfortunately the cost does as well. This is why I probably will only do half the system (AC/HP) since we have not had any issues with the furnace.

There were only 3 contractors shown on the map for the greater Cincinnati area. One is a big outfit that I have seen and the other two are new to me. I'm hoping to be able to call all three as soon as I get the rest of my house ready.

If cost is an issue I'd skip the 2 stage, there is no ROI going over 15 SEER unless you have 20 cent per KWH or more power rates. I'd do the 2 ton and fix the house if it still isn't cool enough. DO NOT let the contractor fudge the inputs on the man J calculation !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast