Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    If cost is an issue I'd skip the 2 stage, there is no ROI going over 15 SEER unless you have 20 cent per KWH or more power rates. I'd do the 2 ton and fix the house if it still isn't cool enough. DO NOT let the contractor fudge the inputs on the man J calculation !!!
    So, if I don't have 20 cent or more KWH I will not see the pay back vs the additional cost? I'll check my rates but i do know that they change depending on time of year.

I plan to ask for a room by room Manual J. How can I make sure the numbers aren't fudged?

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    So, if I don't have 20 cent or more KWH I will not see the pay back vs the additional cost? I'll check my rates but i do know that they change depending on time of year.

I plan to ask for a room by room Manual J. How can I make sure the numbers aren't fudged?
    You can't sell 2 stage on ROI bc it isn't gonna happen, you sell it for increased comfort such as lower humidity and more even temps throughout the home

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You can't sell 2 stage on ROI bc it isn't gonna happen, you sell it for increased comfort such as lower humidity and more even temps throughout the home
    +1

You achieve much of the 2 stage comfort by fixing the leaks in the house and downsizing the AC unit. Similar upfront costs, lower utility bills for years. Slightly undersizing the AC will give better comfort most of the time in exchange for going a few degrees above setpoint during the hottest afternoons. Lower energy bills will also result from slightly undersizing.

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    The furnace is a Bryant 90Plus (355MAV) which I believe has the variable speed blower. The 16 SEER model would be a two stage compressor then?

How does the heat pump know when to turn on? The T-STAT or furnace?
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-26-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    +1

You achieve much of the 2 stage comfort by fixing the leaks in the house and downsizing the AC unit. Similar upfront costs, lower utility bills for years. Slightly undersizing the AC will give better comfort most of the time in exchange for going a few degrees above setpoint during the hottest afternoons. Lower energy bills will also result from slightly undersizing.
    I have done some more reading and with I believe All 2 stage HP they only come in full ton sizes. With that said, if I get the house to go with a smaller unit I don't think a 2 stage would be worth the extra cost as you guys have mentioned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123