Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adding HP to existing gas furnace

I submitted an online quote from a local company to change out my existing AC system with a Heat Pump onto my existing gas furnace. I noted in the quote that for the 16 SEER system the following:

"16 SEER HP condenser cannot be purchased as stand alone equipment to be added to an existing furnace. The size of new coil requires purchase of new furnace or air handler to accommodate it".

This wording was not included with the 14 or 15 SEER systems though. Is this so to achieve the listed SEER rating? Is this the same for ALL manufacturers?

This is for a Goodman HP system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    I submitted an online quote from a local company to change out my existing AC system with a Heat Pump onto my existing gas furnace. I noted in the quote that for the 16 SEER system the following:

"16 SEER HP condenser cannot be purchased as stand alone equipment to be added to an existing furnace. The size of new coil requires purchase of new furnace or air handler to accommodate it".

This wording was not included with the 14 or 15 SEER systems though. Is this so to achieve the listed SEER rating? Is this the same for ALL manufacturers?

This is for a Goodman HP system.

Thanks
    Unless they asked questions in reference to you existing furnace such as " is it variable speed" then it is a generic statement that has no merit. The 16 seer family will be a single compressor with an internal unload-er that allows it to be two stage and requires a variable speed blower in the furnace to be able to handle two stages.

The heat pump's overall efficiency rating of most "16 seer" systems relies on the use of a high efficiency indoor fan motor to achieve it's efficiency rating as determined by AHRI.
    http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridir...ges/homeM.aspx

Yeah, the 16 SEER is only 16 SEER when you match it up with a Furnace of the same caliber. How are you going to tell the heat pump when to turn on?
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Unless they asked questions in reference to you existing furnace such as " is it variable speed" then it is a generic statement that has no merit. The 16 seer family will be a single compressor with an internal unload-er that allows it to be two stage and requires a variable speed blower in the furnace to be able to handle two stages.
    The furnace is a Bryant 90Plus (355MAV) which I believe has the variable speed blower. The 16 SEER model would be a two stage compressor then?

How does the heat pump know when to turn on? The T-STAT or furnace?

Depends upon which 16 SEER Goodman. I would see no reason you couldn't add either single or 2 stage to the 355MAV. But the coil for this would be rather large but if the firm hasn't been out to see the job, how do they know it won't fit. I personally wouldn't want an online quote. Get people out to see the house, size the job RIGHT, and discuss with you how they would interface the furnace & the heat pump.

Here are all the numbers that were in the section for the 16 SEER unit:

SSZ160361/CAPF4860C6/TX3N4/1F95-1277/78 38 30/

I used the online quote just to see what kind of $$ i would be looking at before I had someone come to the house.

Would something like this (HP installed onto existing furnace) be eligible for 10yr parts AND labor contracts as long as a matching coil/condenser lines ect be new?

A side question; if someone buys a 10yr parts and labor warranty from one company, is that company the only one to service it because you bought it from them or could other companies who sell the same product due the warranty work?

Thanks

I used the online quote just to see what kind of $$ i would be looking at before I had someone come to the house.

Would something like this (HP installed onto existing furnace) be eligible for 10yr parts AND labor contracts as long as a matching coil/condenser lines ect be new?

A side question; if someone buys a 10yr parts and labor warranty from one company, is that company the only one to service it because you bought it from them or could other companies who sell the same product due the warranty work?

Thanks
    A duel fuel heat pump Tstat with an outdoor temperature sensor will determine when the heat pump or furnace will run depending on what temperature parameters are set at.

If the extended warranty is through the manufacturer it can be transferred to another authorized dealer if you choose.

I will ask the question to this company or any other that actually come look at my furnace if it can be used and if not why.

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I was under the impression that the install comapny was the one who had to do all the work.

I will ask the question to this company or any other that actually come look at my furnace if it can be used and if not why.

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I was under the impression that the install comapny was the one who had to do all the work.

If it is a factory warranty, you can call and change to the provider of your choice if they are an authorized provider if you are unhappy with the service provider that installed the equipment

Thanks
    The SSZ16 is not a 2 stage unit. The DSZC16 is the 2 stage version. I wasn't aware they still made the SSZ16. If you buy a Goodman Goodcare extended warranty any licensed HVAC company can service the system. You can only get the warranty on the heat pump and coil if its an approved match from Goodman.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Pull the extended performance data on the 15 SEER and 16 SEER units. See how much of a difference in the COP/EER there is at real world design conditions. The 16 SEER 2 stage requires a variable speed motor to get the indoor unit power draw down during low load conditions. 15 SEER are single stage units, PSC blowers can be used to get correct SEER ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Pull the extended performance data on the 15 SEER and 16 SEER units. See how much of a difference in the COP/EER there is at real world design conditions. The 16 SEER 2 stage requires a variable speed motor to get the indoor unit power draw down during low load conditions. 15 SEER are single stage units, PSC blowers can be used to get correct SEER ratings.
    I haven't looked at the difference between the single stage to the two stage compressor. My current AC is a 3 ton but I have been doing alot of insulating and sealing leaks so hopefully when I have the house tested again I can go with a lower unit. My thinking on the two stage would be to help with humidty (its not a problem now) with the longer run times and still have the extra capacity on really hot days. The current furnace has a variable speed blower if that was what you were refering to.

So many companys don't stay in bussiness long which was why I was wondering about the labor part of the coverage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast