+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chiller with Plate and Frame heat exhanger

Post Likes

Chiller with Plate and Frame heat exhanger

I am working on a chiller with a plate and frame heat exchanger on the leaving water side of the chiller. I am starting to trip on freezestat and want to clean the heat exchanger. I have never taken one apart and would love some advice on what to do and not do from others who have. This is a fairly large heat exchanger and I already purchased some new gaskets just in case. Wondering how you handle the plates once you take it apart to prevent damage while cleaning. Thank you in advance for any help.

Post Likes
    Use an acid solution to clean the water side. I would stay away from taking the exchanger apart.

Post Likes
    I'm a little confused. What is the plate and frame used for? Why do you think it is causing your problem?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I'm a little confused. What is the plate and frame used for? Why do you think it is causing your problem?
    yes that's a good question I'm curious too. i had this set up using free cooling.

Also, i would run cleaning solutions through it first if you thinks it dirty. I would not take it apart unless i saw leaks or if you had a restriction. Also, i would look at their chemical treatment process as well.

Post Likes
    Agree with prior posts. Would not take apart unless absolutely nessisary. Verify load and CW in and out temps at chiller barrel and then in and out temps of process fluid at heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Sorry for being vague on description. The chilled water leaves the evaporator and is circulated thru a closed pressurised loop into a plate and frame heat exchanger. Chilled water on one side and very nasty process water on the other. Because of the nasty process water they use a plate and frame so it can be pulled apart for cleaning. Problem is I have never done it. Seems pretty straight forward but would like to hear from others who have taken them apart. Just to clarify, the plate and frame is not on the chiller. It is connected to the process side of things and the chilled water is used to cool the nasty process water. Hope this makes it a little more clear.

Post Likes
    Take the measurement of the end plates before you loosen it up and write it on the plate.. Take your time and have help to switch out when cleaning.. I dont remove the plates if I dont have to. I clean them in place once you open everything up. Double check those gaskets to make sure they are in place and nothing is on them while putting them back together..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    We use very large ones for this same reason and we use cleaning solution twice a year. Call a chemical company and they can help you if this is the route you wish to take. If not, call alpha laval or whoever made it and they will give you a procedure to follow.

good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Take the measurement of the end plates before you loosen it up and write it on the plate.. Take your time and have help to switch out when cleaning.. I dont remove the plates if I dont have to. I clean them in place once you open everything up. Double check those gaskets to make sure they are in place and nothing is on them while putting them back together..
    By measurement I assume you mean the distance between the end plates? How do you clean them in place, with a hose?

Post Likes
    Get the IOM for procedure.

Don't mix up the plates. Measure and mark plates before you take it apart.

Get torque specs. they will be pretty high. Pull up plates evenly measuring as you go.

And above all have a pneumatic impact wrench and socket to fit or you will be there for ever.

Post Likes
    Thank you to all for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in