Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

The virgin Jesus

So was he or was he not? Would be odd running around as a teenager not noticing the opposite sex and as a man not wanting female company. There is now a report of fourth century papyrus saying he had a wife. So the big question is, was Jesus getting any, married or not?

AT an academic conference in Rome on Tuesday, Karen L. King, a church historian at Harvard Divinity School, presented a finding that, according to some reports, threatened to overturn what we know about Jesus, as well as the tradition of priestly celibacy. She identified a small fragment of fourth-century papyrus that includes the words, “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife...’ ”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/op...us-christ.html
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Being the lib that you are, I thought you were going to say Jesus was gay.

Sure Jesus may have been married...maybe it was to Mary of Magdala?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

This thread is gonna be awesome....

A little research will show that 'Jesus' was actually a pretty common name back then. Because an understanding of the time had many believing Messiah was coming and that it would be through a virgin girl, it wasn't at all unusual for a woman who couldn't keep her skirt down to try to dodge the penalty for adultery by saying she was carrying The One and name him accordingly.

As for Jesus Himself marrying, he couldn't, for it would bring up too many questions, including the circumstances behind getting married and any offspring. The Old Testament clearly states that He would be cut off before having any children. Paul states that it is better not to marry because one's focus could be entirely devoted to God's work without distraction, a principle garnered no doubt from following the life of Christ.

Paul also pointed out that a demand for celebacy was the mark of an apostate church, noting the marraige bed was as holy as Christ's preisthood, and that regular intimacy between husband and wife was a safeguard for the marriage, to be stopped only for short periods of fasting and prayer.

A cursory look at any of this type of scholarship only shows the underlying motive--to denegrate and delegitimize Scripture and to find any excuse possible to reject the One who paid the price for sin once and for all. It is the motive behind sending every space probe to grope and prod every corner of the galaxy, in the hopes of finding an errant microbe to "prove" evolutionary life exists apart from earth and thus Creation by a Divine Being is not. The sad thing is that...here and now or there and then...every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of all, some to their eternal joy, the rest to their eternal damnation.

...just sayin'...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    ... the rest to their eternal damnation.
    That is quite a price to pay for being skeptical - a trait that God gave some of us. But whatever makes you feel one up on your neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    So was he or was he not? Would be odd running
    around as a teenager not noticing the opposite sex and as a man not wanting female company. There is now a report of fourth century papyrus saying he had a wife. So the big question is, was Jesus getting any, married or not?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/op...us-christ.html
    Another liberal decides to attack and malign the name of Jesus with a scrap of papyrus that dates back to the 4rth century and hasn't even been accepted by historians as legitimate.

So what else is new.

I mean we all know the damage that the Christians are doing around the world destroying embassies, throwing rocks at riot police and killing ambassadors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    That is quite a price to pay for being skeptical - a trait that God gave some of
    us. But whatever makes you feel one up on your neighbor.
    If liberals would keep their mouths shut and stop trying to achieve every liberals ultimate paradise, to be the most miserable person on earth then the only objection to Christianity would be coming from the atheist and the muslims.

But liberals do their best to malign the name of Jesus and show the rest of the world their intollerance towards people that dont think the same way as they do, even to the point of allying themselves with the Muslims.

I saw a bunch of LGBT protestors chanting "support the Intifada " while carrying nonsensic signs and supporting Obama.

Are they really THAT stupid ? I'll just say yes to that and chalk it up to the yet to be discovered virus that camps out inside every liberals brain that after its 3 second period of gestation immediately lowers their I.Q. by 50 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    That is quite a price to pay for being skeptical - a trait that God gave some of us. But whatever makes you feel one up on your neighbor.
    It's good to be sceptical...I was and found out God can take it pretty well. It's when the answer is tap dancing across your nose and you choose to still be sceptical that God tends to get a bit miffed. The Bible is an anvil that has worn out many hammers, including many of mine. I suspect there are many more hammers coming before He decides it's time to bring the curtain down on this portion of man's history.

As for feeling one up on my neighbor...chances are pretty good that, if I do feel one up on thy neighbor because of my faith, then I don't have The Gospel in my heart, but a rather cheap imitation meant to make me feel good. My Bible tells me to see others as better than me...an attitude that keeps me from standing outside of state capitol buildings, burning American flags, holding up John 3:16 signs and shouting "Jesus is Lord."
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Note to the author of the OP. If you want to start a contentious flame bait thread post it on Monday morning, not Friday.

AC techs are usually dead tired by Friday and mad at the world on Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Note to the author of the OP. If you want to start a contentious flame bait thread post it on Monday morning, not Friday.

AC techs are usually dead tired by Friday and mad at the world on Monday morning.
    Yeah sounds like printer might be carrying water for the Muslims and or anti Christians with this thread. Not nice printer. You can do better than that. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Another liberal decides to attack and malign the name of Jesus with a scrap of papyrus that dates back to the 4rth century and hasn't even been accepted by historians as legitimate.

So what else is new.

I mean we all know the damage that the Christians are doing around the world destroying embassies, throwing rocks at riot police and killing ambassadors.
    Well thank you for your bias. Actually I do not believe Jesus was married but I was not going to influence the discussion with an opinion that I have not completely formed. And as far as embassies, that is being covered in another thread. I am bringing this up as it was in the paper yesterday. I thought a diversion from your presidential politics and hatred between religions might be a welcome relief. One that there is no proven right or wrong so there can not be any winners or losers. I guess I misjudged people's nature again. And sory for posting so close to the weekend. Never knew it would tire people out. Come back on Monday and rejoin the discussion.

shaygetz

Thank you for the well versed reply. I never thought of it from the angle of a person selling themselves as a prophet and them needing to be celibate. I knew others at the time were also running around claiming to be prophets, I thought that celibacy came about afterward in response to Jesus's life, and not that it was widely done. Mind you if you think about it as many people believing the Apocalypse was imminent then going the celebrate route is not a big sacrifice.

When I started to think about this after reading the article I thought of Jesus growing up as any boy and the stages and desires that take one into manhood. I am assuming Jesus had a normal life where he developed as any other child would learning, growing, and maturing as any other human being would. I was just curious how normal a life he had.

Sorry to offend you there Glenn, I'll try to do better next time. Maybe start a thread about music.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

You're welcome printer...I wish more folks could just stop and truly think about what they believe. That Jesus was the sinless, holy Son of God who came to walk among us as one of us has some serious points to ponder. Which is easier to believe...He walked on water or walked on by the local hottie in high school without a sinful thought overtaking him? Remember, the Scriptures say that He was tempted in every way as we are yet was without sin...so He had to do both, or He was no better than the rest of us, making His death on the cross utterly pointless.

Alas, sigh, groan...these are the discussions I miss from Bible college... :-)

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast