coil cleaning - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coil cleaning

average time is 25 mins each.. ill walk you through it. the owner had to show me this routine three days in a row because honestly i couldn't believe it.. i wonder if he thought i was stupid.. oh well...

1 on the way to the site call customer (sched. maint)

2 arrive and place ladder.

3 pull out hose attach to water source... alot of times this is pretty tricky finding water...

4 take hose and new bright up on roof spray condinser with cleaner

5 open filter panel pull filters out and hit evap with cleaner

6 back-flush condensation drain pan

rinse both coils check belts and get off roof.

25-30 mins regardless of size that's time from leaving last job to finishing current.

now that ive been there for a while its gone up to 26 a day...

we do most accounts 2-5 times a year..

avg cost for a 10 ton carrier weather maker... 150 each cleaning

i make $13.hr

so ya

You are using nubrite on the evap coils?
    Quote Originally Posted by mldp68 View Post
    average time is 25 mins each.. ill walk you through it. the owner had to show me this routine three days in a row because honestly i couldn't believe it.. i wonder if he thought i was stupid.. oh well...

1 on the way to the site call customer (sched. maint)

2 arrive and place ladder.

3 pull out hose attach to water source... alot of times this is pretty tricky finding water...

4 take hose and new bright up on roof spray condinser with cleaner

5 open filter panel pull filters out and hit evap with cleaner

6 back-flush condensation drain pan

rinse both coils check belts and get off roof.

25-30 mins regardless of size that's time from leaving last job to finishing current.

now that ive been there for a while its gone up to 26 a day...

we do most accounts 2-5 times a year..

avg cost for a 10 ton carrier weather maker... 150 each cleaning

i make $13.hr

so ya
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    You are using nubrite on the evap coils?
    I hope you rinse well

I wouldn't use NuBrite on the condenser coils, either. Unless your business plan is to wash the condenser this year and replace the condenser coil next year. If I walk up to a unit that I can knock the aluminum off the condenser coils just by brushing my finger along it, I know that it will foam up with NuBrite if I hit it with a water hose. Pisses me off when I see someone's destroyed the condenser on a perfectly good chiller with that stuff.

The best method I've found for cleaning condenser coils on commercial units is to use a pressure washer. As long as you're not a dumbass about it, you won't flatten the coil or cause any damage to the unit, and you'll get a condenser as clean as it was when it left the factory.

I did a little experiment one day to test this out. I had two identical Trane RTUs on a mall; condensers were filthy because of a nearby construction site. Anyway, I had city water pressure, two gallons of NuBrite, and a pressure washer. I also had way too many hours to do this thanks to a generous quote. Both these RTUs were R22 machines running around 390 head pressure even in the early morning. I washed one with water only -- head pressure settled out at 350. Washed the other one with NuBrite, rinsed it forever, and the head pressure settled out about 330 PSI. I hit both units with the pressure washer and got the head pressure down to 240 where it was supposed to be, and I had the same results with the pressure washer on another identical Trane RTU at the store next to it a few days later. So I was sold on using the pressure washer after that.

Of course, I've found an even better way of cleaning coils, and that's to send an apprentice with a pressure washer to clean 'em whilst I'm on a service call where I can make the company a bit more profit than having a journeyman on a labor-only call washing coils.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12