Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    microns??...is that when the pump changes pitch??...(hides)

Originally posted by corny
    Just tack on a few hours overtime each week.... or if you are an independant contractor make the customer pay for it...next time you are on a opm change out the contactor and charge an additional 300.00 labor. BAM.... new ritchie micron gauge.
    Well, now that you put that way....

Originally posted by joebear
    ritchie yellow jackey 69075,all the way baby!
    the tools you use everyday are the one's you want to be top of the line.

If you just need a 24" pipe wrench every once in awhile ... you probably do not need the best money can buy.

But you also need to factor in... what is the cost if your tool fails you?

if your working twenty stories up on a construction project and your 24" cheapie pipe wrench gives out ... your a LOOOONG way from a back up unit. And THAT can cost you some serious time!

some guys buy six in one screw drivers for discount. cause they get broken and lost often times.
    no big deal.
    however, when you need a good tool for everyday use and can count on it's performance, you dont want to be scrimping pennies over the purchase of the good one's versus the "affordable" ones.

a broken or inaccurate tool of ANY kind is no bargain!!!

a vacuum gage is the ONLY insturement that will inform you of the condition of your vac pump, gages and connections. Just "listening" to the sound of your pump running when you blank off your manifold valves is only something a fool would do to test their vacuum level.

and guys do that trip each and every day.

Originally posted by latentcool

Also, do techs usually supply these themselves, or is this a company-supplied tool?

The company had better pay for it if they want you to use it for their work. Hand tools are one thing, specialty items are another. All of our trucks come with micron gauges. Replaced when they fail.
    Only time will tell

Carry two supco VG64 and yes you have to keep them clean. But for the long runs on installs old trusty Thermal 14571 gets hooked up and monitored @ the evap,with a supco teed at the pump. I've found that temperature variations are more controlled using the Thermal to ensure a complete evacuation.Oh and the 4150 sensor carry a battle spare and keep it capped.
    FEN

markwolf
    Professional Member

Hands down the markwolf
    Professional Member

Hands down the thermal engineering analog meter is the tank of all micron guages.The 14571 is battry or 110 volt.Tip the sensor down to keep oil out of it during use & place a cap on it when not in use.It will give you years of service. http://www.thermalengineeringco.com/...id=23&cat_id=2

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Hell yeah! I love my thermal engineering micron gauge
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

I am tottally on board with testing a vacuum with a micron gauge. I mean really after all, the real job of insuring no leaks, moisture ect, is from the use of a micron gauge. And the customer is being better served. Takes time, yes, but the job is then done right.

My problem is. I have been through all of the cheapies. The Supco's, The JB. I have no clue what the hell I am doing to them.

I am almost afraid to buy an expensive one. I am afraid I will break it.

There is a yellow jacket, that has the remoted probe on wire. I don't know the Model. I have heard this is as good as the thermal engineering, and 200 bucks cheaper. Any one have any luck with this style?

yellow jacket 69075 is the one you're talking about.
    have had one for a while, put a ball valve on it to keep isolated from system till ready to read. looks like it should hold up pretty good.

I use a uei modal em100a paid $100 8years ago. Works great and I keep it in my tool box. a very cheap one. I'v been very happy with it. but agree if you don't care to use anlog go with the yellow jack. It will be the last one you buy.

I own the fieldpiece vacuum head and the jb industries, like them both no problems in three years. The only thing I have seen is that the fieldpiece reponds slower then my JB.

Originally posted by 1972torino
    markwolf
    Professional Member

Hands down the markwolf
    Professional Member

Hands down the thermal engineering analog meter is the tank of all micron guages.The 14571 is battry or 110 volt.Tip the sensor down to keep oil out of it during use & place a cap on it when not in use.It will give you years of service. http://www.thermalengineeringco.com/...id=23&cat_id=2

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Hell yeah! I love my thermal engineering micron gauge
    Ditto, best dam guage you can get for the price. You can watch what is happening to the system your working on. this is why I like it. We did a dry cleaner unit awhile back, water cooled. Condenser coil leaked water into ref. side, filled with water, put your gages on it and water came out. c/o'ed compressor and condeser coil, emptied full co2 tank thur system blowing it out, vacuumed out for about 10 hrs, emptied oil 3 times, got down to 700 microns. Wanted to go to below 500 but boss and owner said no. started it up running ever since no problems. checked in on it and sight glass is a deep purple and moisture tattle tale is sitll green. btw, these are neat units to work on, them Itialians can build a neat machine.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

What do you guys know about the Ritchie 69040?

I can get my hands on one and was wondering...
    Owner
    All-American Air Conditioning
    Vero Beach, Florida

I am tottally on board with testing a vacuum with a micron gauge. I mean really after all, the real job of insuring no leaks, moisture ect, is from the use of a micron gauge. And the customer is being better served. Takes time, yes, but the job is then done right.
    Actually, once i started using it regularly a few years ago i found it takes less time because you know its done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast