Thread: Major House Remodel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Major House Remodel

We bought an older home (1974) that requires a major remodel including the heating system. It has a 1984 Utica boiler and baseboard heat. We also have an electric water heater. We're converting the house heat to radiant in-floor. My original intent was to upgrade the existing boiler, get a few more years out of it, and replace it whenit finally dies. At the same time I wanted to replace the water heater with an on-demand heater. We had a Rinnai for years in our previous house and loved it.

Anyway, after many discussions I realize that putting more money in a very old boiler may not be too smart. One of the options is to combine the need for a boiler with my want of a on-demand water heater. I'm told that Navian makes a dual unit that has two separate heating units within one and can handle both heating for the in-floor radiant and domestic water. I was also given a quote on a NTI Tinity Ti150 that does the smae thing but seems to operate a little differently to accomplish that. I like the idea of a single unit that can do both. However, I have never heard of Trinity or Navian.

I might add that we live in Michigan (near Traverse City) and the house is a single story with 1650 ft. Can anyone shed some light on my idea? Are there other options that I should consider?

Thanks,
    Todd

Post Likes
    Whats the fuel source for your boiler?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Natural gas

Post Likes
    Modulating, condensing (high efficiency) boiler, used to heat the house, and your household water. Thats the way I would go for a boiler. Alot of boiler manufacturers make high efficiency boilers.

Now, backing up a bit. I'm not familure with your area, but what are you doing for A/C? If your doing a reno, now is the time to do something about air conditioning.

Have you gotten any quotes/ideas from a contractor?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in