+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using old tubing with new 410a equipment

Post Likes

Using old tubing with new 410a equipment

What are the results of using old tubing from an R-22 system that is being converted to 410A? I have been able to use new tubing until now, where it is very impractical. Supposedly you can flush the existing tubing to remove the mineral oil. What have been the results in the real world?

Post Likes
    unless theres somehow an excessive amount of oil in the lines, you don't need to do anything different than you would if swapping out R-22 equipment. mixing the oils doesn't create some sort of super sludge like the flush companies want you to believe.

Post Likes
    Make sure you confirm the size of the line set!!! also make sure you use the flush.

Post Likes
    I worry more about the flushing agent than I do the oil so I dont flush unless its a burn out.

Post Likes
    Experience counts. You guys feel like this is a concensus everywhere? If your experience and that of your peers tells you that there are more imprtant things to worry about, then I won't get too concerned about it. They said a lot of things about 410A in the beginning. I like this one: Do not charge vapor. Do not top off. Then they report that testing has shown that a leaking system can be topped off something like 35 times with no noticeable effect. Love the internet.

Post Likes
    Just verify the line sizes are correct for the new equiptment. Do a tripple evacuation.

Post Likes
    Don't forget to change FD.

Post Likes
    Make sure line set size is ok. Then blow it out with nitro.

Its still best to only charge r410a as liquid only.

The false rumor you heard about not topping off was from sourves that either didn,t have any training on it, or were just prejuctice against it.

Post Likes
    nearly all the linesets here are behind drywall so replacing them is not an option not to mention most people wont pay extra for them to be replaced.

Post Likes
    I just blow with nitro and pull a good vac with a micron gauge. When we first started installing 410 we used the flush but I feel like it will do more harm than a little oil. That flush is some potent stuff, smells like nail polish remover and burns your eyes. Trane install manual says to NOT use ac flush

Post Likes
    how would trane know.... lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I would make sure there are no soft solder joints in it first!Back in the day , alot of installers used 50/50 or 95/5 on there joints! 410a pressures may cause a failure at this type of joint! Nitro flush is is a minimum prep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark s View Post
    I would make sure there are no soft solder joints in it first!Back in the day , alot of installers used 50/50 or 95/5 on there joints! 410a pressures may cause a failure at this type of joint! Nitro flush is is a minimum prep.
    A 3/8 line with 400 psi inside is experiencing about 17 pounds of force pushing the connection apart. Bubble gum would almost be capable of holding that together.

Post Likes
    http://www.descoenergy.com/pdf/York%...ZE%20R-410.pdf Bottom of page 2,, line brazing, Do Not Soft solder!!

Post Likes

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    A 3/8 line with 400 psi inside is experiencing about 17 pounds of force pushing the connection apart. Bubble gum would almost be capable of holding that together.
    Craig1 -- You lost me, dude.

Post Likes
    Is that Sugarless gum?? HAHA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mustanger361 View Post
    Craig1 -- You lost me, dude.
    pressure is measured in PSI, Pounds per Square Inch. If you had two 1 inch square pieces of tubing and joined them together and charged them with 400 PSI there would be 400 pounds of force pushing them apart.

However, the inside of our liquid line is not 1 square inch, it is a small portion of that.

the inside diamer of 3/8 tubing is 1/4"

the area of that inner diameter is .049 square inches.

multiply that times 400 and you get 19.6 pounds of force pushing the joint apart.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark s View Post
    Is that Sugarless gum?? HAHA
    Sugarless is recommended for 410a. It has a higher tensile strength. Thats why you can blow bigger bubbles if you chew gum long enough to get all the sugar out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    pressure is measured in PSI, Pounds per Square Inch. If you had two 1 inch square pieces of tubing and joined them together and charged them with 400 PSI there would be 400 pounds of force pushing them apart.

However, the inside of our liquid line is not 1 square inch, it is a small portion of that.

the inside diamer of 3/8 tubing is 1/4"

the area of that inner diameter is .049 square inches.

multiply that times 400 and you get 19.6 pounds of force pushing the joint apart.
    I come up with .2956 sq in surface area, which would be a total of 117.8 pounds of force.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I come up with .2956 sq in surface area
    I don't guarantee my calculation is correct, but I do guarantee yours is not

Theres no way a 1/4" circle takes up more than 1/4 of the area inside a 1"x1" box

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in