+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Superheat charging for cap tube WSHP

Post Likes

Superheat charging for cap tube WSHP

Hey everybody: My name is Andy and I have a question for some of you gurus out there. I work as a medical building engineer here in lovely southern CA. The outside of the building is nice, shiny and green. But the ceilings hide a 30 year old ongoing horror story of grossly neglected Climatemaster WSHPs. These babies are old-school. No control board, cap tubes, r-22, mercury t-stats on the walls; you get the idea. Anyways, I have been working non-stop to get these units back online (the ones that can be saved, that is) After many leak repairs and recharging I have something of a feel for what the units like charge-wise. But, it bugs me that I have no constant formula to go by. I can use outdoor and indoor temps for air source condesers on split and package units, but what about water condensers?? The unit nameplates are intact yet they give no specs for charging. Because they are cap tube restrictors; I feel SH would be the correct method but there has to be some consideration for the condenser. I have heard a wide array of answers to this question but none of them give me the warm fuzzies. One tech said as little SH as possible without getting liquid in the compressor. One tech said the head pressure should correspond to 105* saturation temp. Another tech said I sohuld shoot for 6-12*
    SH and forget it. Does anyone have a SH or SC method based on Water In/out temps or something. Any solid ground on this issue is greatly appreciated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dembones71 View Post
    The unit nameplates are intact yet they give no specs for charging.
    I'm not sure I have any manuals for these units, but what is the model number on the nameplate?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    814036GSSSSSCOB. Also, where is the tonnage encoded in there? Thanks a lot

Post Likes
    You're overthinking it really. Yes charge to superheat ( 12-15 ) with 85 degree water supply to the Condenser.

Check compressor amps and your done.

Most likely 3 ton. But if there us a tag with a model for the comp you could verify tonnage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dembones71 View Post
    814036GSSSSSCOB. Also, where is the tonnage encoded in there? Thanks a lot
    036 = 3 tons

Check your email also.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Thank you all. i will look at those manuals but I like six's general formula too. This info is really helpful right now

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in