Threaded View

Looking Into New Full System

First post, so I hope I am in the right section. If not, please point me in the right direction.

I live in a 1500 square foot, single story ranch home with a crawl space. The home and the AC/gas furnace is 14 years old.

I have had several issues lately with both systems and I am looking at replacing them both.

The units are probably "builders grade", because I can not find a manufactures label of either. I only know the furnace is 80.0 AFUE. I am guessing the AC is 2-ton, but that is just a guess. Sorry I don't have any more details than this.

I'm going to have a HVAC company come out and evaluate my system and give me some options/prices. So until then I just have a few general questions.

1. With my units being so old, will upgrade make much of a difference in my electrical/gas bills? If so, is there a general % of savings? I ask about % because I realize energy costs are different for everyone.

2. I am pretty sure the HVAC company coming out are Trane dealers, but may also offer other manufactures as well. Again, I know this is subjective, but are there certain manufactures rated above others or are they all pretty much the same?

3. What should I look for? I know I can not afford the best there is, but there has to be a strong middle of the lineup product that is both cost worthy as well as a solid build.

4. Is it best to go with a matched system and not mix and match?

I certainly appreciate any help you can give me. This is a huge deal for me because the money is tight and I need to be frugal but also educated into not wasting my money.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Zomby; 09-20-2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Spelling