+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave in the work truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes

Microwave in the work truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sick of cold lunches getting ready to install a microwave in the work truck anybody done this already if so what size power converter do you need Manhattan is tooooooo expensive to buy hot lunch

Post Likes
    I'm contemplated this for a few years. Surely someone makes a 12v microwave!
    I've tried using heated mugs for soup but it's not cutting the mustard...

Post Likes
    The guys at my step dads company have one in the install trailer that they run off a an inverter not sure what size it is tho I look next time I'm there and get back to ya

Post Likes
    Check the truck stop, like Petro of Flying J. They got a 12v version of most household appliances or an inverter big enough to run it.

Post Likes
    This book might be able to help you out. You can have hot meals and not waste space on a microwave.

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Desti.../dp/1416596232

Post Likes
    Just park facing the sun and leave your lunch on the dash, toasty by noon for sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkH View Post
    Just park facing the sun and leave your lunch on the dash, toasty by noon for sure.
    Maybe in San Diego...not in the Manhattan winter

Post Likes
    A guy at my shop has one sitting next to his seat. No bin or milk crates in the front for his books, and papers to get in the way. He has a little shelf made to sit around the microwave and use that space for his bill book. at lunch time he runs an extension cord to the outlet and has a hot lunch.... not a bad idea if you got the room.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    Maybe in San Diego...not in the Manhattan winter
    Might not work so well with tall buildings and <60° temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mpr73 View Post
    A guy at my shop has one sitting next to his seat. No bin or milk crates in the front for his books, and papers to get in the way. He has a little shelf made to sit around the microwave and use that space for his bill book. at lunch time he runs an extension cord to the outlet and has a hot lunch.... not a bad idea if you got the room.
    I met a guy in Georgia that drove with his in the back of the truck. At construction sites, he would run an extension cord to the power pole.

Post Likes
    Just put your lunch on any subway vent, that'll steam it up for ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raven22 View Post
    Sick of cold lunches getting ready to install a microwave in the work truck anybody done this already if so what size power converter do you need Manhattan is tooooooo expensive to buy hot lunch
    If you work in this field,,,,,,,,,,you should be able to size the INVERTER? ohm's law? watts?

Post Likes
    wrap your lucnh in foil and place it on the engine while you drive....

Post Likes
    Do it like Tim the tool man taylor did, heat it up with your torch!!! HOT!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    at least 1000watt inverter. those lower power microwaves aren't that great though.

check out stuff for semi trucks.

Post Likes
    soups in a thermos and you still have to eat your lunch in a freezing truck...what are bringing for lunch that you can't wolf down while writing a ticket ...those walk in delizzzz are awesome with all that hot stuff under the glass....meatloaf,mac & cheese,beef,macs,chinks...and those soups New England clam,Lobster Bisques....teasing you...ever been to the deli up on W55th up from the HILTON between 6th & 7th Aves,or the one at E45th and Madison..opposite Mens Warehouse...best one was on W56th middle of the block just over 6th Ave on the right middle of the block Green awning!!!!! awesome hot food in the back down the stairs..treat your self to Hero Boy one of these days...W39th and 9th.....White Castle W43rd & 8th....and of course Katz's deli...lower east side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnu70rfgL-o
    Last edited by maxster; 09-23-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    They do make 12v microwaves. But I had a microwave in my van for over a year. I just ran 100ft extension cord to the customers outlet or used their microwave.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    This book might be able to help you out. You can have hot meals and not waste space on a microwave.

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Desti.../dp/1416596232
    Interesting. Used to place a can of 'C' rations on the jeep manifold to warm up our meals.

Post Likes
    Don't forget about a smaller George Foreman grill either. I threw one in my truck back when I did installs and used it all the time. The other guys would get pretty jealous when I was making cooking up my stuff and they were eating sandwiches. I never cooked anything from raw, just used it to reheat stuff.

Plus it was easier to carry to the outlet than a microwave. Now days tho, I just eat out... I really gotta stop that!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    the economy needs your lunch money!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in