+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is this?

Post Likes

What is this?

Name:  IMG-20120919-00109.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  70.5 KB

This pic is from a heatcraft condenser for walk in freezer. If you look at the pic there is a valve off the side of compressor. I have never seen this before wondering what it is exactly. This is a copeland scroll compressor. I know the pic quality is not that good sorry~!

Post Likes
    Liquid injection!!! Liitle sensing bulb in top of compressor well opens valve to feed liquid into low side to lower discharge temp. Kind of like a TXV.

Post Likes
    Not sure of the official name... But I like to call it a liquid injection valve.
    It's used to cool the compressor, the valve will meter liquid into the compressor to cool it. I believe the little tube going to the dome of the compressor is what tells the valve that the compressor is to hot.

Post Likes
    DTC is the official name. Does that one have a current sensing relay. So if the compressor overheats and quits running the supply of liquid to the valve is cut off. My co worker replaced one of these compressors and it lasted a day. My guess is the DTC flooded it out and broke the scroll. I changed the second at it's still working. The instructions said to bleed valve before start up. I did, he didn't!!!

Post Likes
    Most of the heatcraps I've seen don't have the current sensing relay.... So if it ever trips the overload, it will just sit there fillin it full of liquid..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Most of the heatcraps I've seen don't have the current sensing relay.... So if it ever trips the overload, it will just sit there fillin it full of liquid..
    The new valves don't need the solenoid. I wonder why?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    The new valves don't need the solenoid. I wonder why?
    The current relay is only required if the charge is more than 10 pounds... According to copeland. Which is only every one I've seen. Lol

Post Likes
    I am not sure if there is a current relay on this unit. I was at the call because customer complained of frost build up on the product. This walk in freezer is in a wherehouse that right now is usually 90 degrees or more and when they get a load they have the door open and I think that is where the frost is coming from . There is also 1 of 6 evap fans out. Which I am going to replace. The freezer was to packed with product to the job, but before I left I took a peek at the condenser and noticed the compressor was a little noisy (valves). and I saw what I now know is called the dtc liquid injector. Thanks to all of your guys help . Thank you. Now it has me thinking that could there be some thing wrong with the dtc. And is that why the noisy compressor? How can you tell if the dtc is working correctly? Thanks for all the help!

Post Likes
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Thank you cracker...very nice info...and thats kinda what I thought ...if this compressor takes a dump replace both,compressor and dtc.

Post Likes
    I guess they have a cap tube style that requires a soleniod and the new DTC valve which does not! Why are they using these scrolls anyways. Are they cheaper to the equipment manufacturer. But, cost more $$$$ to the end user when it goes out versus a pump w/ valves?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Why are they using these scrolls anyways. Are they cheaper to the equipment manufacturer. But, cost more $$$$ to the end user when it goes out versus a pump w/ valves?
    They are more efficient than a hermetic and more durable too. Some of them are VERY adaptable and can do low and med temp 404a, 134a, and even 22 (thanks to the demand cooling)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    They are more efficient than a hermetic and more durable too. Some of them are VERY adaptable and can do low and med temp 404a, 134a, and even 22 (thanks to the demand cooling)
    More effecient? Yeah, but more durable? I don't know about that. Maybe if all the other components are working. But, heaven forbid the pumpdown switch(low pressure) fails to open!!!:

Post Likes
    I just replaced a LPS on one yesterday matterfact ....

Had a fun time trying to remove it , finally got the torch out , someone red locktite the thing on there

Post Likes
    How do you post pictures on here?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SanchezHVAC View Post
    How do you post pictures on here?
    Click "Go advanced" ,"manage attachments" and then add files.

Post Likes
    To post an image on the site you have a couple of basic options.

NOTE: This How-To procedure assumes you are using a desktop computer running a typical browser like IE, Edge, Firefox or Chrome. If you are using a cell phone or tablet use one of these browsers and it should work for you. If you are on Tapatalk, you're on your own.

************************************************** ****************************************

One is to use a third party image hosting site like Imgur or Google Photos. I like using Google photos because it's free and so simple to post a pic on a forum like HVAC-Talk.

Google Photos scans you computer for any images and displays them for you to select. When you pick one, right-click on it and in the dropdown menu that appears, select Copy Link Address. This saves the picture's URL (its web address) to your browser so you will be able to paste it in your post either directly using a little basic HTML or by using either the standard or the advanced post editor on HVAC-Talk...ie, the place where you type your posts.

Using the editor, move your cursor to the location in your post where you want to place your image, click on the image icon in the tool bar and a box will appear (it looks like an old-school snapshot photo), directing you to enter a URL for you image. Just left-click on the URL box and select Paste. You image's web address will be displayed in your post.

To preview your post, click on Go Advanced, and then click on Preview Post down in the bottom RH corner.

************************************************** ***************************************

The other method is to post your image by using the site editor's Attachments function.

To attach an image, left-click on the Attachments icon in the tool bar. It looks like a paper clip. A dialog box called File Upload Manager will appear. At the top RH corner, click on Add Files and click on the box labeled Choose File. A dialog box of your computer's files will pop up, so find your image in the folder where you have it saved (usually in My Pictures or something similar). Double left-click on the picture's file name and the file name will then appear next to the Choose File box on the site editor. If you have more than one image to post, then click on the box with the + to the left of the Upload box.

When you have select all the images you want to post, click on the Upload box and your image files will be uploaded to the site and appear at the bottom of the Upload Manager dialog box. To post, simply left-click on the location in your post where you want the image to appear and left-click on Insert Inline. Finally, click on Done to close the Upload Manager.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

NOTE: If you are posting pics directly from your cell phone or pics taken from your cell phone, the phone image editor inserts an EXIF code in the image information file which tells the browser what the orientation of the image is. The site's software doesn't use this information and so the orientation may display incorrectly. To correct this you first need to edit the photo in a photo app on your phone, then post it on the site. A better way is to simply use the Google Photos or Imgur methods discussed above.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in