Thread: Scotsman CME656

Scotsman CME656

Had a weird one today. Got called to go behind another tech. The machine ran fine but would not sense the ice falling. Therefore it would get 2 blinks on the ref light and eventually lock out. The weird part is that the bin full light would go off and on when breaking the eye beam. It just wouldn't sense the ice. The other tech tested the eyes (circuit 4) and all checked good. To make matters worse, the control board and eyes had been replaced a few months prior..........? It now has the blue board. Checked Voltage (line/control) and insured the ground was tight. There did seem to be about a 5 second lag when breaking the eyes to illuminate the bin full light and visa versa.
    I have to say, it stumped me. The other tech asked what I found and what he should do. So we are going to try another set of eyes.....(cheaper part) and I think we have a control board at the shop if needed.
    So any ideas?
    BTW Voltage was 204 on the correct terminal on the transformer and the transformer was putting out 26 volts.

The blue board is universal to multiple CME models - make sure the selector switch is set to your machine. Otherwise it's probably the board. If the bin full blinks as cubes are falling it IS seeing them.

That's the problem. It does not blink when the ice falls. The bin full light will come on and off however, when you stick your hand between them. It's a weird one.
    The blue controller was set for the machine. It could be the board. We should know if it's the eyes tomorrow. I have just never seen a failure like this, but anything is possible.

Gotcha.... I read your post a little more closely - that delay you are describing is a weird one. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshort View Post
    That's the problem. It does not blink when the ice falls. The bin full light will come on and off however, when you stick your hand between them. It's a weird one.
    The blue controller was set for the machine. It could be the board. We should know if it's the eyes tomorrow. I have just never seen a failure like this, but anything is possible.
    Sounds like your ice sensors....assuming they are clean.
    Here is the check procedure for the blue controller if you don't have it:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks I appreciate it. It was the eyes. The tech said it harvested and that the bin full light blinked rapidly as the ice fell. He had checked it out as you would the black board. I didn't know there was a different procedure and neither did he. So we guessed. He said that he had replaced those eyes about 2 months ago.
    The only thing I could tell him was, If it's man made, it will fail.

Thanks again for the info pdrake65

Just happy you are making ice again!

Problems with Bin Eye Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshort View Post
    Thanks I appreciate it. It was the eyes. The tech said it harvested and that the bin full light blinked rapidly as the ice fell. He had checked it out as you would the black board. I didn't know there was a different procedure and neither did he. So we guessed. He said that he had replaced those eyes about 2 months ago.
    The only thing I could tell him was, If it's man made, it will fail.

Thanks again for the info pdrake65

Hi, I'm a new user.

Sorry for my english.
    I write from Italy. I have CME656-AS and I have the same problems with Eye Sensor of Bin.
    I don't want to spend 170,00 ($ 230,00) to buy a new couple of sensors.
    I describe it: To make it run, I have to unplug the wires (two ones red/black and white/black wired), because otherwise the Bin Full light starts to blink, after goes perpetually on, and shut off the process.
    In the harvest time, I have to plug in them otherwise the machine thinks that no ice is falling and continue to harvest and harvest for ever!!
    I know how to clean them and I did it. I checked them under a light and there aren't any dirts and sediments of limestone.
    An electrician said to me that We could fix them, but He has to know some specific things like: how it is done the receiver sensor (one with black/white wires), which kind of diodes.
    Someone has ever opened them and seen how they are made?!
    If you think about it, they would be a normal pair of infrared sensor... All We have to know is how work the receiver sensor.

thank you all, Antonello