Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    I've been using a Yellow Jacket 69080 Digital LCD Vacuum Gauge. It has bars that go from 500 to 750 to 1000, etc. I like it. It seems to work well enough.
    The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpSteady View Post
    I've been using a Yellow Jacket 69080 Digital LCD Vacuum Gauge. It has bars that go from 500 to 750 to 1000, etc. I like it. It seems to work well enough.
    Yellow Jacket only lists the accuracy of their 69075. Which is +/- 20% and it is a digital readout. They do not list the accuracy of the 69080. Have you checked it against other electronic vacuum gauges?
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    After you have done your best pressure leak test, a good vacuum gage can be the final test of system integrity.

Static vacuum and not running vacuum is the real test.
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

Not that I have a clue about things.

Amprobe Ultrasonic Leak Detector, TMULD-300

In areas where leaking gases are not sufficiently pressurized, there is no ultrasonic sound for detection. The area can be pressurized with the ultrasonic sound waves created by Amprobe's UT-300 Ultrasonic Transmitter. This will allow the detection of cracks which would not normally be possible. Locates arcing in an electrical system. Useful in finding the ends of buried PVC pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I have found ultra sonic devices helpful at times when other methods were failing, but I've had less success with it than with refrigerant detectors in general. The ultrasonic transmitter is not useful for our work, its for structural cracks like roofs, etc. I've never tried it in an open pipe, but I guess it would work well. I've had a receiver and transmitter on my truck for almost 20 years, but rarely use them. I don't know if you can rig up the transmitter to spray sound waves into a pipe smaller than the 3/4" horn on the transmitter either ... a pain in the butt if you had to anyway.

I even accidentally discovered that soap enhances the chances of finding a leak with ultra sound ... the repeated forming and popping of bubbles picks up better than a dry stream of gas. Ultra sound device also showed me that pin holes take time to ramp up ... it might be 5 minutes after you apply pressure that the pin hole is really flowing. Be patient and retest.

The down side of ultrasonic ... extremely directional. You can be directly adjacent to a leak, but not pointing in the direction of the sound propagation, and miss it entirely. I do not know of another detection method that is as picky about pointing straight in at the leak.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    Yellow Jacket only lists the accuracy of their 69075. Which is +/- 20% and it is a digital readout. They do not list the accuracy of the 69080. Have you checked it against other electronic vacuum gauges?
    No. I only have one, don't have anything to compare it to. It seems to work as it should.
    The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know.

My new setup (which I haven't used through a full vac yet) is JB Platinum 7CFM vac pump (shop supplied), two YJ vac hoses (3/8 hose with 1/4 fittings on one end) straight off of pump (has 3/8 - 3/8 - 1/4 port, why not a 1/2" on a 7CFM pump is unknown to me) to two 1/4" YJ core removal tools (with side port). Off of one of the side ports is a YJ ball valve shut off connected to a JB DV220 micron gauge.

I work primarily in residential service and install, but do commercial as well.

I have only fully used this setup on a test, on a 26 lb reclaim bottle, but this vs my old setup (1/4" charging hoses off of a vac pump tree, micron gauge at top of tree) was a world of difference. 8m 45s to 200 micron with new, 50 minutes to get to 277 with old (had to break it down to head to a job). We'll see real results tomorrow (service valve on a 20lb 5 ton system.

As far as the DV220, I dislike them. They are very slow to read, and I've been through 2 of them, last one only lasted 11 months. both of them ended up that I could take them completely out of the system and they'd read a vac for minutes before they'd start to show a change. This last one (a few weeks ago), I wanted the shop to get me a BluVac, but cheaper cost and availability (needed it then and there) won. I'll be buying myself a BluVac sometime in the near future.

The J/B Super7 I saw had 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 but FWIW you can pull 7cfm with that pump thru one 1/2" hose with 3/8 and 1/4 fittings on either end.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

To be clear you can pull 7 with your platinum and one 1/2 hose
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    NOT using a micron gauge is like trying to measure 2" using your cars odometer.
    Quote of my day!!
    I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two

Has anyone tried setting up 3/8" copper "hoses" with YJ 1/4" fittings on the end (pn# 19102) for their lines coming from their manifolds?

I've been tossing the idea around of doing this and also making a "hose" for the line to the vac pump. Should make for fast pull downs.
    I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two

From "Shady Pines" Yellow Jackey makes them. I had mine over thirty years.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I've been using the big black 3/8 with 1/4 end hoses about 30 years also. straight 3/8 on both ends between the manifold and pump. Had a special 3/8 flare by 1/8 pipe high flow fitting custom made - I think you can buy that fitting now ... if you could 30+ years ago, I couldn't find it
    Sam

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast