Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    I tried the copper line trick, worked great the first time, but the flares don't hold up. I also have a problem keeping up w/all that copper tubing, and how do you keep it clean(inside).

Quote Originally Posted by mlock View Post
    I tried the copper line trick, worked great the first time, but the flares don't hold up. I also have a problem keeping up w/all that copper tubing, and how do you keep it clean(inside).
    Flare plugs.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

I am reading posts about micron gauges to get an idea which one to buy and thought I would put in my 2 cents as to why they are necessary.
    I am still new at HVAC and recently put a small system together in the shop. I pressure tested the system and it seemed to hold the pressure so I pulled a vacuum. I could not get the vacuum gauge to hit 500um. I found a verrrry small leak in a flare joint that needed tightening. I then got down to 500um in a couple of minutes.
    In my opinion if you're not using a micron gauge you don’t care about the quality of your work.

Appion

Vacuum rated core removal tools
    http://www.appioninc.com/products/vctfeatures.html

Anybody used them yet and how do they hold up?
    TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
    Vacuum rated core removal tools
    http://www.appioninc.com/products/vctfeatures.html

Anybody used them yet and how do they hold up?
    Yes I do. They hold up well and the bore through the core remover has a larger opening than C&D's, Yellow Jackets or Cliplights. The JB's have a larger bore but the flare end has the sharpness of a hole punch and will chew up your hose gaskets in short order.

Appion on left JB on the right.

The Appion has double O-rings in the coupler and for the lever shaft for a good seal.

Worth the price? Yes they are.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Mech if you look at all J/B hoses and fittings designed specifically for pulling vacuum they use O-Rings and not gaskets.
    I believe the J/B VCRT's are designed to work with O-Rings.
    I am in the process of switching all my vacuum equipment over to O-Ring equipped
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Mech if you look at all J/B hoses and fittings designed specifically for pulling vacuum they use O-Rings and not gaskets.
    I believe the J/B VCRT's are designed to work with O-Rings.
    I am in the process of switching all my vacuum equipment over to O-Ring equipped

Was not aware of that. Thanks.

so how do you find a leak with a vacuum? and what are some other things to look for when you have a vacuum pulled? Thanks every one for all the input.

Leak test, then vacuum.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

vacuums

Remember, the micron guage can malfunction too. I've seen some that read 300 microns when I know there's a leak. Electronic gizmos can be unreliable... got a computer? Still, it's very important. Change the oil in your vacuum pump after every job, make sure seals are good, especially low loss fittings that have had 410a pressures on them or are just old. If you still think it's your vacuum pump, check it with another micron guage to be sure. Also, if you have moisture in a system that doesn't leak, it can take a long time. The water has to boil out (water will boil at 0 degrees in a complete vacuum) which causes expansion then the vapor must be removed. Keep your copper clean and dry.

I once spent 6 hours looking for a leak that turned out to be in my manifold set. Boy was I mad

love the apion mega flow kit. the time savings in amazing! too much $$ though. but then ain't it all

my digital gauge set has microns right on it, and i us it everytime the vac is on. mine starts at 0 and goes negative from there. like to see at least -600 the best i've ever seen was -755.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Leak test, then vacuum.
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast