Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    My son said that he sw a demonstration using copper tubing that blew away the hose performance. I agree to use analogue not digital micron gauge and u need to learn how to use the gauge. experiment with it. it must hold its reading. not just momentarily or for 2 minutes. it has to hoooold to be a good reading. leak testing and leak locating are entirely different processes. boy am i going on and on. sorry. J

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    My son said that he sw a demonstration using copper tubing that blew away the hose performance. I agree to use analogue not digital micron gauge and u need to learn how to use the gauge. experiment with it. it must hold its reading. not just momentarily or for 2 minutes. it has to hoooold to be a good reading. leak testing and leak locating are entirely different processes. boy am i going on and on. sorry. J

With my micron gauge instruction it plainly states in most cases pressure lines will not hold a vacuum.

Just wondering having just purchased new digital gauges, does pulling a vacuum with the digital gauges hurt them any, should I stick with the old ones or is it okay. Just don't want to screw up 700.00 tool in the 1st month of having them.

I use a micron guage, but nobody else does....lol

I mostly use the digital YJ 69080 with SS flexible hoses. I prefer either the analog or guages that show digital incremental vacuums(like from 1000 microns to 500 microns). I don't like digital guages that show 1 to 10 micron incremental vacuums because of the wild fluctuations you get in the field.

Must have guage perpendicular to the vacuum

Most techs destroy guages because the guage isn't perpendicular to the vacuum hoses. If the guage isn't 90 degrees to the vacuum, oil sucks up into the guage causing premature failure(must clean with alcohol if this occurs).

Quote Originally Posted by Downeasthvac View Post
    Just wondering having just purchased new digital gauges, does pulling a vacuum with the digital gauges hurt them any, should I stick with the old ones or is it okay. Just don't want to screw up 700.00 tool in the 1st month of having them.

90% Don,t use a micron Gage.As a good Teah do not do what bad people because there not techs.THEY ARE JUST PEOPLE WIHT A JOB!

As both a mechanical engineer & HVACR technician, I've been on the front lines of the HVACR industry from the top corporations in the world to the abyss of residential installations -- all I can say is the industry has a long way to go.

There is a huge difference between a true technician & professional and, from my experience, very few people do things by the book in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvac View Post
    i have shut offs on my hoses and even with them turned off it wont stay @ 500 been like tha since i bought them
    i was concerned at first but after reading here i found that it is not uncommon for regular hoses to not hold a good vacuum i do have core removers and use them on occasion but usualy i dont need to pull a vacuum any faster because we try to get the pump on it early in the install
    I went to a class for Ultra Low Temperature and the Manufacturer putting on the class recommended using copper instead of hoses. I have tested both and can say, without a doubt, that when using copper, the system pulled down much faster and held better during the blankoff test. If I'm on a critical system, I will use copper but under normal circumstances, hoses work fine. Just my two cents.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jcon04 View Post
    looking to buy a micron gauge. seen this one on this website. It's from TPI 605 digital micron gauge. Has anybody heard anything good or bad about this product, it cost is $90. This is the web address, hope it works.

http://www.iaqsource.com/pdf/605datasheet.pdf
    I use the Robinair analog style Micron Gauge and have used the Ritchie Digital. Guess I'm "old school" because I prefer the analog to the digital. I just sold the digital to a newby cause it was just collecting dust and taking up space in my truck. Spend the extra money and invest in a good one. You won't be sorry.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by _hl4e_halflife_ View Post
    Guys, Guys, This is a state-of-the-art micron gauge which is attached to my old Welch Duo-Seal 2-Stage belt driven vacuum pump (Model 1400). It can still pull down to about 800-900 microns. Only problem is it needs a new shaft seal

It might be time to let the moths out of that wallet and move into the 21st centuryLOL

Bill

Hey Folks, very refreshing to hear from techs in the trade. Just got my review from DA Boss, they said great service tech, best we ever had, but your new construction numbers are suffering, you go by the book to much. Been here seven months, Hmmm I ask where is your vacuum pump, recovery unit and rec. tanks? I guess we could use mine :+) Elctricians should not manage a HVAC company. Glad to see I am not the only one trying to do the proper thing. You guys got any pictures on the copper set up for the MC guage? Keep it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by acemechanical View Post
    Confession: I was a "beer can cold" guy for many many years.Never used a micron gauge.We got into the higher eff. units a few years ago, and with the TXV's it was impossible to get the charge right.So I bought the gauge and swear by the thing now.the question i have is: How long on average does it take you guys to pull 500microns on lets say a new install 3.5ton split with 50ft of refer(7/8-3/8) just the coil and refer of course without opening the system up yet?????Iv'e had it take several hrs, and question the vac. pump I use.Its an old Robinair 6cfm VacuMaster pump.When I isolate the pump and hoses all is tight and good.I also will do the triple purge with Nitro. and that seems to help the larger systems pull down faster.Are the "new and improved" pumps any faster/better?
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, it just seemed like it was going in the same direction..
    My challenge is getting the Bosses onboard with a solid procedure. Trane says 500 microns is good once reached no matter the time it's good to go, Good says pull down for 15 minutes. I have a JB 7cfm and have yet to use the copper trick, I like it! Keep searching and learning.

Hi PinoyCano:

I think you have just outlined the problem here. While most of us need to use a micron gauge to ensure everything is as it should be, a lot actually do not. Why? Because there are no standards. Not in how they are used and not in the gauges itself.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast