Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213

micron

I have read over all the posts but I feel the need to post my two cents.

A micron gauge is essential for any tech. I went to a scotsman class and a true class on the same day. Both their reps asked for a show of hands of who used a micron gauge. I was amazed to see that only 50 percent of the class raised their hands.

The first tech I ever rode with had a micron gauge. A supco I believe. I never seen him use it. Needless to say the first time I had to borrow his truck on a weekend call I went to use the gauge. It didn't even have batteries in it.

After he quit, I put my tools in the truck and hit the road. I ended up going to one of his previous calls on a walkin cooler. System was very, very low on refrigerant. Only about 5psi in the system. I hit it with nitrogen and the whistling noise was apperent. The leak was in the condensor on the top u joint. He didn't even cut away the surrounding steel. He heat it up and threw what looked to be about two sticks of 15 percent on it. I caught hell cutting the steel away and trying to grind down the solder with a cutoff wheel. I did get the leak fixed and haven't heard from them since.

If he would have used his micron gauge he would have know that the leak wasn't fixed.

Hell, nitrogen would have told him the same thing.

micron gage to CRT coupler

Quote Originally Posted by stomper56 View Post
    JB D10244 Deep vacuum 1/4 sae swivel coupler
    Just picked up two myself, the rubber gasket is smaller then normal though so it looks like it might have to be babied.
    If using for vacuum i reccomend some Nylog on the gaskets.
    I found this, saw it being used in the true tech tools youtube video. Seems like the perfect adapter for the micron gauge.

Micron Gauge Coupler by yellow Jacket 69071

http://www.trutechtools.com/Vacuum-G...er_p_1989.html

Quote Originally Posted by kdb4 View Post
    I found this, saw it being used in the true tech tools youtube video. Seems like the perfect adapter for the micron gauge.

Micron Gauge Coupler by yellow Jacket 69071

http://www.trutechtools.com/Vacuum-G...er_p_1989.html
    Heck, that's standard equipment in anybodies vac kit these days.

Thanks for the confirmation, I have spent a lot of time reading the forum to figure things out and never ran across this. I bought the full Appion Megaflow kit with the 20 micron rated manifold, the 1/2 inch vacuum hoses, etc. It works great, I'm always down around 350 microns on an evac, but I was always unhappy about how I had to hook up the micron gauge to the CRT service port.

I had been pulling the schrader out of the CRT service port and using a short 4" rubber hose, it didn't have a valve depressor in it, its all I could come up with. I did have the JB D10244 2" sae swivel adapter but there usually wasn't room to fit it on the CRT and get my micron gauge on it as well, as it didn't bend.

It would be nice if this was included in the Appion Megaflow kit. True Tech Tools includes it in theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by kdb4 View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation, I have spent a lot of time reading the forum to figure things out and never ran across this. I bought the full Appion Megaflow kit with the 20 micron rated manifold, the 1/2 inch vacuum hoses, etc. It works great, I'm always down around 350 microns on an evac, but I was always unhappy about how I had to hook up the micron gauge to the CRT service port.

I had been pulling the schrader out of the CRT service port and using a short 4" rubber hose, it didn't have a valve depressor in it, its all I could come up with. I did have the JB D10244 2" sae swivel adapter but there usually wasn't room to fit it on the CRT and get my micron gauge on it as well, as it didn't bend.

It would be nice if this was included in the Appion Megaflow kit. True Tech Tools includes it in theirs.
    TruTech is a supplier while Appion is a mfg. Trutech puts kits together from different manufacturers ...see why now?

I have system past pressure test but didnt pass vacuum test,and sure not find a very tiny leak!micron gauge is a must have tools!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213