Old McCall refrigerator - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Thanks Icemeister. Seems like i'm way too long at 78" compared to the Tecumshe calc. Why wouldn't they be the same?? Maybe i'll go back and cut 30" off!!
    I'm glad you asked that question.

If you were to compare all of the available cap tube sizing information, (which isn't much) you'd find right off the bat that none of it agrees.

Likely the most popular chart out there is Supco's. I used it for longer than I care to remember and it worked OK for the most part. Their chart was created back in the 1960's, primarily by trial and error...and extrapolation. I have high regards for Henry Ahrens for his work back then and I'm sure he'd be thrilled to see what we now have to work with.

This new Tecumseh program reflects the results a lot of new studies about how cap tubes actually work and how they can be modeled using computers. There have been a few cap tube programs floating about in the last ten years or so, but this is the first one to use the latest info. I've had very good results in the field using it.

Well, i made it back there today!!! Found the evap a half block of ice as i kind of expected with a penn stat being used instead of a cold control. I ended up cutting 32" off and attaching 6 inches to the suction line. Which is about all i could and still reach the condensor. Set the charge at the same 250 head and ended up w/ 30 suction. But, the suction line felt colder than before. Let box pull down to 37. SH about 9. Atmospheric recovered, i mean recovered a little bit and got SH up to 20 at compressor. Installed a defrost clock and wrapped it up. It works!!!

Perhaps yet another success story for my humble cap tube sizing web app. KB Cool, I'm happy to help out!
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    Perhaps yet another success story for my humble cap tube sizing web app. KB Cool, I'm happy to help out!
    Well, with Mccall not being able to help and the highly respected Icemeister recommending your program. I figured it was worth a shot!!!! Your program really did work better on this upright that's being asked to perform in some brutal conditions!!!

Thanks Andy!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12