+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heatpump on a gas furance t-stat ploblem

Post Likes

heatpump on a gas furance t-stat ploblem

Installed a 2.5 ton h/p and a 96% nat.gas furnace all work good except for the heating mode. Has a Honeywell stat TH8320R1OO3. The problem is in heating only h/p runs, outdoor stat set at 20*however if swt setting to em heat the furnace comes on run just like it should. Goodman products.Have went thru sitting several times all looks well what you think?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TRELL View Post
    Installed a 2.5 ton h/p and a 96% nat.gas furnace all work good except for the heating mode. Has a Honeywell stat TH8320R1OO3. The problem is in heating only h/p runs, outdoor stat set at 20*however if swt setting to em heat the furnace comes on run just like it should. Goodman products.Have went thru sitting several times all looks well what you think?
    Is it 20 degrees outside?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Is it 20 degrees outside?
    if it is set to run heat pump above 20° and furnace below 20°, what is your outside temp?

If above 20°, you only get the hp unless it is in defrost.

If below 20° you only get the gas furnace.

So is it working properly, you tell us.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    set the heat pump lockout at 35 degrees and the dual fuel upstage timer to 1 hour.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-12-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Restored post

Post Likes

heatpump on a gas furance t-stat ploblem

Did you go in and configure that stat correctly? You have to tell it the sensor is on, what type of system, and also that it is controlling the backup. I agree the lockout temp should be 35 or higher (I prefer 40 due to nuisance comfort complaints).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Are you referring to the Vision Pro's setup function using an outdoor sensor, or do you actually have a mechanical outdoor stat on this?

Post Likes
    Its working like it should. Its locking out the furnace because its above 20 degrees outside.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Did you go in and configure that stat correctly? You have to tell it the sensor is on, what type of system, and also that it is controlling the backup. I agree the lockout temp should be 35 or higher (I prefer 40 due to nuisance comfort complaints).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It should not be based on a preference but on the balance point of the structure.

If the heat loss at 20 degrees equals the heat produced by the equipment at 20 degrees then the lock out should be 20 degrees, not a guess.

But you being NATE certified, already knew that I am sure.

Post Likes
    where do you live
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-12-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Restored post

Post Likes
    It should not be based on a preference but on the balance point of the structure.

If the heat loss at 20 degrees equals the heat produced by the equipment at 20 degrees then the lock out should be 20 degrees, not a guess.

Alriiiiight! Finally, someone who knows about 'balance point'.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes

There are other factors to consider as well. Fuel cost: if gas is extremely cheap vs electric as it has been then the changeover point can be raised.

And comfort (!!!!).

If the homeowner doesn't like the cool discharge air of a heat pump running in a low ambient, or enduring defrosts with no auxiliary heat.

We usually set at 40 deg for that reason.

Our salesman is the savings guy. I'm comfort (I don't like callbacks). Between the two we usually end up with a pretty good system.

Post Likes
    lake Cumberland Kentucky.

Post Likes
    that is the balance point.

Post Likes
    gt it figure out. Thank yu'all for great info...

Post Likes
    I know im a few days late to chime in, but here in central nc i set ours 30-35 deg. For 2nd stage to come on. I have a co2 bottle i chill it down with if its not cold enough to come on by itself. Have used a bill porter board but not no more use either a honeywell or aprilaire duelfuel t stat. Just my 2 cents

Post Likes
    IMO the old pro 8000 honeywell was a good stat but I don't think i'll use a vision pro 8000 again...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in