Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 49 of 49

Thread: Jobs

  1. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I agree printer.....it's a tough topic.

    Right now does not seem to be the right time to be asking more from applicants, seeing as how many are soon to retire and the labor force isn't ready to take those jobs.

    Many here can say that it's the fault of todays generation, which is partially true, but I would be willing to bet that most of them got their careers started when you could simply walk in and demand a job and it would be granted provided they proved themselves. I hate to say it but things aren't that way now....as you said, most places refuse to give training.

    We are trying to replace a workforce that simply had to show up and work hard, with a workforce that must be perfect in every way, in a time when people are even less perfect than the generations before them. I don't see it going well.
    I beg to differ. The shop I work at has hired young guys out of trade school as drivers and coil cleaners. True stories: 1 kid is a driver for 2+ years Whines if he has to lift a finger to help. Complains he needs to make more money (car payment was $600) but call in sick periodicaly. On the phone constantly. Becomes a coil cleaner this season. Pops holes in 3 coils and denys it each time. They hired 2 kids this year 1 as a driver and another as a coil cleaner. First day at work the guy hired as a driver insists he get a new van. Because of his cockyness, he got a van that had a burned out compressor fall over and spill out that nasty oil in the back. 2nd guy who cleans coils has a gung ho attitude but can't climb a ladder. I think he lasted 3 weeks. The kid who has been training the drivers and coil cleaners for years isn't going anywhere because he won't step it up. That's just at my shop. I just don't see the hungriness out there in todays youth. Part of the problem has to be the marketing the schools do. "Get an education and you're worth big bucks"
    As far as your last statement, much of the work we do and equipment we work on is being dumbed dowm. The brazing rings, dual voltage motors no longer have wires to figure out. Now its a switch or reversible plug, and so on. Older equipment can be more difficult to work on because many have more controls vs new equipment that has a board or two. Tells you what error codes and so on.
    I think the more we dumb down the trade, the dumber the applicants seem to be.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I beg to differ. The shop I work at has hired young guys out of trade school as drivers and coil cleaners. True stories: 1 kid is a driver for 2+ years Whines if he has to lift a finger to help. Complains he needs to make more money (car payment was $600) but call in sick periodicaly. On the phone constantly. Becomes a coil cleaner this season. Pops holes in 3 coils and denys it each time. They hired 2 kids this year 1 as a driver and another as a coil cleaner. First day at work the guy hired as a driver insists he get a new van. Because of his cockyness, he got a van that had a burned out compressor fall over and spill out that nasty oil in the back. 2nd guy who cleans coils has a gung ho attitude but can't climb a ladder. I think he lasted 3 weeks. The kid who has been training the drivers and coil cleaners for years isn't going anywhere because he won't step it up. That's just at my shop. I just don't see the hungriness out there in todays youth. Part of the problem has to be the marketing the schools do. "Get an education and you're worth big bucks"
    As far as your last statement, much of the work we do and equipment we work on is being dumbed dowm. The brazing rings, dual voltage motors no longer have wires to figure out. Now its a switch or reversible plug, and so on. Older equipment can be more difficult to work on because many have more controls vs new equipment that has a board or two. Tells you what error codes and so on.
    I think the more we dumb down the trade, the dumber the applicants seem to be.
    I understand, and have seen your point of view as I've been a boss before.

    In my point of view it's a balancing act, as I stated before...today's generations are not as hard working as the ones before them, partly due to the way we were raised, and partly due to many of us being tired of the BS that goes on in the workplace. Personally I have never worked for someone that didn't try to get me to do something illegal or against code, if I refused my life would be made very difficult.

    With this said, I absolutely hate working for other people, to the point that I would almost rather shoot myself than go to work the next day. It's not that I hate work....I just hate owners and their BS crap flows down hill agendas. Now I understand why capitalism enhances creativity and motivation, it makes people realize that unless they want to be the guy that makes the least but catches all the downhill flowing crap, they should work hard and allow someone else to be that guy.

    Capitalism has done great things for me, it beat the living crap out of me until I realized that owning your own business is the only way to go.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,564
    Sounds like you've worked for some pretty crappy shops. I have never been told to do something illegal or against code or to work unsafely. Kudos to you for breaking away. The ony thing that s holding me back is the responsibility and liability. I think I may have found a niche' where that won't be an issue or at least minimal.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Sounds like you've worked for some pretty crappy shops. I have never been told to do something illegal or against code or to work unsafely. Kudos to you for breaking away. The ony thing that s holding me back is the responsibility and liability. I think I may have found a niche' where that won't be an issue or at least minimal.
    I'm curious.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,564
    I'll send you a PM
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Sounds like you've worked for some pretty crappy shops. I have never been told to do something illegal or against code or to work unsafely. Kudos to you for breaking away. The ony thing that s holding me back is the responsibility and liability. I think I may have found a niche' where that won't be an issue or at least minimal.
    Punch of pussies. Needed a bottling tank to fill up with beer when running 24 hrs, we normally pressurize the tank with CO2 in order to keep the dissolved oxygen low. Usually takes 4 hrs to clear out the tank so it is safe to get in and wash (crawling through a oversized porthole). Need it in two so my buddy and I took turns, hold your breath, jump in and scrub for half a minute, jump out and try to catch your breath, the other guy jumps in and does the same thing till the tank is clean. An interesting fact, when the body breaths in a pure CO2 atmosphere it flies back as if someone just walloped you in the jaw.

    Yes, when I started working you did what was needed to be done unless something really looked unsafe.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post

    Punch of pussies. Needed a bottling tank to fill up with beer when running 24 hrs, we normally pressurize the tank with CO2 in order to keep the dissolved oxygen low. Usually takes 4 hrs to clear out the tank so it is safe to get in and wash (crawling through a oversized porthole). Need it in two so my buddy and I took turns, hold your breath, jump in and scrub for half a minute, jump out and try to catch your breath, the other guy jumps in and does the same thing till the tank is clean. An interesting fact, when the body breaths in a pure CO2 atmosphere it flies back as if someone just walloped you in the jaw.

    Yes, when I started working you did what was needed to be done unless something really looked unsafe.
    That's interesting but I wasn't referring to doing things that are unsafe, the type of illegal I was referring to is your boss telling you to serve food that has sat in a non operating walk in cooler over night, or your boss telling you to dump raw sewage that had just been pumped out of a septic tank onto a field, or the latest one....cross over the fence, and trim those trees, sir those trees are twenty feet from a major interstate highway and on state property....well do it anyway. Come to find out my boss had already been in trouble with the state for doing that very thing.

    It really goes to show what employers will do to save or make a buck and how little they care about their employees.
    Last edited by AStudent; 09-20-2012 at 10:00 PM.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    That's interesting but I wasn't referring to doing things that are unsafe, the type of illegal I was referring to is your boss telling you to serve food that has sat in a non operating walk in cooler over night, or your boss telling you to dump raw sewage that had just been pumped out of a septic tank onto a field, or the latest one....cross over the fence, and trim those trees, sir those trees are twenty feet from a major interstate highway and on state property....well do it anyway. Come to find out my boss had already been in trouble with the state for doing that very thing.

    It really goes to show what employers will do to save or make a buck and how little they care about their employees.
    The city would come and measure our effluent that we dumped raw into the river. Mainly pretty clean water except at the end of the night when we cleaned out tanks of the bottle washer. Whenever the city came around to sample it we stopped cleaning out the tanks till they went away.


    Just showing what it was like. Also it is tough to find a job now, it was not always easy back then. I got lucky and walked in at the right time as they needed someone that day but a half dozen buddy's couldn't find work that summer. After getting out of school it looked bad getting a job as that was when the dot com bubble burst. Two years no income while in school and then another looking for a job. Took one that paid 10k less than I should have been getting because jobs were scarce. Just got a lot of promises they would boost my pay for three years then got bumped by a more senior employee and then out of work for another year. So 8 years of lean times until I got a job that paid not too bad. Wanted to move up but politics got in the way, jumped ship and now I am getting a good but not exceptional wage. If they did not close the plant down where I originally worked I would be retiring 5 years earlier. The screwed us out of our half our pension also.

    It's not great right now but don't think it was always better.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    The city would come and measure our effluent that we dumped raw into the river. Mainly pretty clean water except at the end of the night when we cleaned out tanks of the bottle washer. Whenever the city came around to sample it we stopped cleaning out the tanks till they went away.


    Just showing what it was like. Also it is tough to find a job now, it was not always easy back then. I got lucky and walked in at the right time as they needed someone that day but a half dozen buddy's couldn't find work that summer. After getting out of school it looked bad getting a job as that was when the dot com bubble burst. Two years no income while in school and then another looking for a job. Took one that paid 10k less than I should have been getting because jobs were scarce. Just got a lot of promises they would boost my pay for three years then got bumped by a more senior employee and then out of work for another year. So 8 years of lean times until I got a job that paid not too bad. Wanted to move up but politics got in the way, jumped ship and now I am getting a good but not exceptional wage. If they did not close the plant down where I originally worked I would be retiring 5 years earlier. The screwed us out of our half our pension also.

    It's not great right now but don't think it was always better.
    Yeah you are right.

    Dumping the sewage on land wouldn't have bothered me so bad if it were filtered. Straight from the tank to land isn't the best thing, needles from drug users, condoms, and anything else you could imagine that people put down the drain is left laying on the ground.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I hear a lot of bickering back and forth about the unemployment rate, everyone has their own opinions of why the rate is so high.

    One thing I have not heard anyone bring up is the rising expectations on present and future employees by their employers.

    While employers have every right to screen applicants and hire only the best, you have to admit that by doing so the labor force takes a huge hit.

    Do you think the rising requirements are hurting us? If not, do you believe that if left unchecked that these expectations will get worse?
    What you're overlooking, is that for the last decade, EMPLOYEES have had the upper hand...due to a boom economy. Employers of all types have had to settle for whatever bodies they could scour up. Now the economy is in the tank, and employers can be more selective.

    It's the circle of life....it's just a matter of where on the circle we happen to be at a given time.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event