Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 49

Thread: Jobs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268

    Jobs

    I hear a lot of bickering back and forth about the unemployment rate, everyone has their own opinions of why the rate is so high.

    One thing I have not heard anyone bring up is the rising expectations on present and future employees by their employers.

    While employers have every right to screen applicants and hire only the best, you have to admit that by doing so the labor force takes a huge hit.

    Do you think the rising requirements are hurting us? If not, do you believe that if left unchecked that these expectations will get worse?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,304
    You can be selective about your employees when there is an abundance of potential employees to vet.

    Its a consequence of the policies that have caused high unemployment.

    Not the reason for the high unemployment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East of Lyndon's
    Posts
    525
    Maybe it's just my personal opinion but I think we have more of an Unemployable problem than an Unemployment problem. Due to the dumbing down of America we are in bad need of employees that, first of all, show up for work!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    Maybe it's just my personal opinion but I think we have more of an Unemployable problem than an Unemployment problem. Due to the dumbing down of America we are in bad need of employees that, first of all, show up for work!!
    I agree work ethics are on the decline.

    From my point of view the requirements are rising, which narrows the labor force.

    Don't take my word for it, search the job discussion and general forums, you will notice a few threads about this.

    It's kind of like taking a fresh baked pie, and only eating the very best looking parts of it, how much of the pie is left, how much of it went to waste?

    I would like to ask a few more questions...how many here have searched for a Job recently, if you haven't how long has it been?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I agree work ethics are on the decline.

    From my point of view the requirements are rising, which narrows the labor force.

    Don't take my word for it, search the job discussion and general forums, you will notice a few threads about this.

    It's kind of like taking a fresh baked pie, and only eating the very best looking parts of it, how much of the pie is left, how much of it went to waste?

    I would like to ask a few more questions...how many here have searched for a Job recently, if you haven't how long has it been?
    Dude, (not wanting to hijack thread) while I disagree and shake my head more often than not when I read your posts, I would hire you in a hearbeat if you knocked on my door because you got spunk; and, you seem to have strong convictions (even if they are misguided....playing with ya) and those attributes usually translate to a "good employee".
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Thank you, I'm hoping to have started a business by next spring or I might have taken you up on your offer.

    The criticism is taken with an open mind, I'm still learning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I agree work ethics are on the decline.

    From my point of view the requirements are rising, which narrows the labor force.

    Don't take my word for it, search the job discussion and general forums, you will notice a few threads about this.

    It's kind of like taking a fresh baked pie, and only eating the very best looking parts of it, how much of the pie is left, how much of it went to waste?

    I would like to ask a few more questions...how many here have searched for a Job recently, if you haven't how long has it been?
    Requirements are rising? Half the posts in the jobs thread are: I don't want to quit smoking pot, can I have a job? or I've had 16 DUI's That shouldn't be a problem in getting hired, should it? I'd hope most employers requirements are a tad higher than the applicants expectations. My ol' lady's son is a perfect example of todays youth. 19 years old. Barely graduated high school, took one semester of community college, and refuses to take a job for minimum wage. He's too good for that. She enables him. Her daughter on the otherhand is "Hungry" She's been working since she was 16(now 23) because she likes nice things. Just paid off her car, going to college, complaining today about why the government takes all the money she has worked so hard for. Well, it's to take care of people like your brother.
    I have looked online for jobs for her son. Hundreds if not thousands of jobs are available. Why don't people want to work? Don't know. I wasn't raised that way. My own son works and goes to college. Although unhappy with both, he has a goal he wants to reach and its going to take education and money to get there. He complains but knows the prize at the end will be well worth the work.
    For myself, I did look for a job recently. I made a phone call to a former boss and was hired. I turned down the job because my current emploter made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    Back to topic
    What's wrong with eating the best parts of the pie and leaving the scraps for the scavengers. If I was an employer, I would like competent people working for me. Whose to say what waste is? My guess is the pie owner.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Requirements are rising? Half the posts in the jobs thread are: I don't want to quit smoking pot, can I have a job? or I've had 16 DUI's That shouldn't be a problem in getting hired, should it? I'd hope most employers requirements are a tad higher than the applicants expectations. My ol' lady's son is a perfect example of todays youth. 19 years old. Barely graduated high school, took one semester of community college, and refuses to take a job for minimum wage. He's too good for that. She enables him. Her daughter on the otherhand is "Hungry" She's been working since she was 16(now 23) because she likes nice things. Just paid off her car, going to college, complaining today about why the government takes all the money she has worked so hard for. Well, it's to take care of people like your brother.
    I have looked online for jobs for her son. Hundreds if not thousands of jobs are available. Why don't people want to work? Don't know. I wasn't raised that way. My own son works and goes to college. Although unhappy with both, he has a goal he wants to reach and its going to take education and money to get there. He complains but knows the prize at the end will be well worth the work.
    For myself, I did look for a job recently. I made a phone call to a former boss and was hired. I turned down the job because my current emploter made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    Back to topic
    What's wrong with eating the best parts of the pie and leaving the scraps for the scavengers. If I was an employer, I would like competent people working for me. Whose to say what waste is? My guess is the pie owner.
    You make a lot of good points, specifically about people not wanting to work or them thinking they are too good for certain jobs.

    There is nothing wrong with an employer wanting the most competent employees, I never said there was. My question and belief is that employers do have a direct relationship with how many employed and unemployed people we have in this country.

    Employers going to a strictly online application process, they are weeding out several groups of people, those that do not have internet, those that do not know how to use a computer, those that just are not good looking on paper but can work circles around three other people.

    Employers checking credit scores, sure this has some logic behind it, but once again you are leaving out a section of the pie that has very little to do with how good of a worker a person is.

    Employers absolutely not accepting anyone with any kind of criminal background, yes I understand these people are huge risks, and many companies can't hire them because of their insurance policies, but then again you are cutting out a huge section of the pie without even giving these people a face to face interview.

    Some employers will not hire smokers, people with tattoos, piercings, odd looking hair, people that do not have transportation...(The majority of us have feet)....prospective employees that may not agree with their beliefs (this does happen regardless of the law), ethnicity differences, if you don't have a permanent address most employers will not hire you..(somewhat understandable but are you going to send me a letter or stop by my house after work? How are the homeless suppose to get jobs?)

    I could go on and on but it is somewhat redundant.

    While employers have these rights, is the unemployment rate raised or lowered by doing as stated above?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Posts
    879
    AStudent,

    Some of your points I agree with. However, I also agree with others that the employer should get the best bang for his buck.

    I think you are miscontruing things a little. I don't think employers are not hiring because they are TOO selective. I think they are selective because there is more employees than work.

    Some of the hiring qualifiers are completely stupid. Others make sense 100%. In this economy, you don't have to hire any old slob that bumbles in to fill out an application, so they aren't going to.

    The only attribute that will lower unemployment rates, is availible work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,833
    An employer who has an online application process doesn't know if the applicant has tattoos or is attractive or piercings etc. Kinda puts everyone on an even keel. With todays litigious society, would you want to hire a criminal? Right or wrong, it's a reality. I am unaware of people being discriminated against for smoking, although that will be an issue regarding insurability

    I think you're giving too much credit to today's unemployed. People are full of excuses.

    A government that says I'll pay you to not work, and this is perpetuated for generations is the problem. Why can't America's poor, be poor? That would motivate them to not be poor. Seriously, If americas poor had nowhere to live and nothing to eat and no internet access and no phones and whatever else my tax dollars pay for, you'd bet your bottom dollar they'd be working. New economies would form in poor neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods would no longer be poor. This was proven since the begining of time. You want something I have and I want something you have. Let's make a deal. Todays society says: Gimme that because I'm entitiled to it.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    I understand that employers are in business to make money, while only hiring the best will maximize profit gains in the short term, what happens when there are not enough people categorized as the best? The economy goes to crap because there aren't enough people working and your profit dwindles....the person you turned away, now has no money and can't buy your product.

    Am I backwards on this?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    You make a lot of good points, specifically about people not wanting to work or them thinking they are too good for certain jobs.

    There is nothing wrong with an employer wanting the most competent employees, I never said there was. My question and belief is that employers do have a direct relationship with how many employed and unemployed people we have in this country.

    Employers going to a strictly online application process, they are weeding out several groups of people, those that do not have internet, those that do not know how to use a computer, those that just are not good looking on paper but can work circles around three other people.

    Employers checking credit scores, sure this has some logic behind it, but once again you are leaving out a section of the pie that has very little to do with how good of a worker a person is.

    Employers absolutely not accepting anyone with any kind of criminal background, yes I understand these people are huge risks, and many companies can't hire them because of their insurance policies, but then again you are cutting out a huge section of the pie without even giving these people a face to face interview.

    Some employers will not hire smokers, people with tattoos, piercings, odd looking hair, people that do not have transportation...(The majority of us have feet)....prospective employees that may not agree with their beliefs (this does happen regardless of the law), ethnicity differences, if you don't have a permanent address most employers will not hire you..(somewhat understandable but are you going to send me a letter or stop by my house after work? How are the homeless suppose to get jobs?)

    I could go on and on but it is somewhat redundant.

    While employers have these rights, is the unemployment rate raised or lowered by doing as stated above?
    Astudent you are exactly right. And there is also one thing you forgot to mention working against you. Here in TX, employers prefer to hire Mexicans and not white guys in the construction trades. The same is true in Las Vegas and Phoenix and probably many other U.S. cities. Why wouldn't they want to hire people that are hungry and have a new lease on life by coming to America? Employers are VERY discriminating.

    Here's how you got a job in 1979 right when I moved to Texas. You went in, filled out the application and then handed it to the lady at the front desk. She took a quick glance at it, and then she asked you if you had time to meet with the manager. The manager looked it over, and if you didn't have hair down to your butt and were clean and seemed sane, the manager would ask if you could start tomorrow or maybe Monday. That was it. You didn't dare go some place you weren't prepared to work at. Nowdays.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,162
    From Naked Capitalism:

    7) Obama Pushing Offshoring of American Jobs – The massive Trans-Pacific Partnership, or NAFTA on steroids, is a global secret deal to subordinate American sovereignty to international tribunals of private corporate lawyers and offshoring whatever jobs are left in America. I’m not kidding. It’s that bad. And it’s being negotiated right now.

    Read more at http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/...tOrLSLxYHG2.99

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event