+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good salary for HVAC apprentice?

Post Likes

Lightbulb Good salary for HVAC apprentice?

From your experience what is a decent weekly salary for a HVAC apprentice? also do you have benefits etc?

Post Likes
    Pends on where ya live (cost of living) whats your schooling? Ever done electrical or plumbing?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I live the DC metropolitan area. I have only taken one HVAC prep course, I have worked as a helper since April. I applied and received my apprentice license from the state. I am scheduled to take the second HVAC course in the sequence next month followed by my CFC in November. In the past 6 months I have done basically electrical..such as connecting a disconnect box and connecting the whip...checking for shorts using my meter...as for plumbing I have connected a pump, blew out consate lines, reattached PVC fittings, minor things if you consider that plumping.. I haven't removed a water-heater or anything...I have a long way to go, but have learned alot this year.

Post Likes
    I find here is 10/hr or 100/day in NJ and these jobs 1099 you as a subcontactor paying extra taxes. It is the only way I find I can break into the field. You might want to call it "enterpreneur by necessity"

Post Likes
    what state are you from? if from Georgia I would like to know if I'm eligible to apply for an apprentice license... here in Georgia...

Post Likes
    Take what ever you can get. Sucks.at first, but pays off later. Im 7 or so months in doing hvac work and getting 11 / hr. Having to deal with a super tech who lies and manipulates owners to look better and shows pics of anything and everything he thinks i do wrong. But i just take it and do my best as someday i can be the real supertech and not have to fake it. Most wont hire under 2 yrs exp. Takes 5 years for a comp. To trust and make $ on your work supposedly. Keep humble and learn all ya can. And beat on the doors till someone hires ya.

Post Likes
    [
    Hey!

Theres only 1 supertek!!!!!

Lmao

QUOTE=leaker2;14248981]Take what ever you can get. Sucks.at first, but pays off later. Im 7 or so months in doing hvac work and getting 11 / hr. Having to deal with a super tech who lies and manipulates owners to look better and shows pics of anything and everything he thinks i do wrong. But i just take it and do my best as someday i can be the real supertech and not have to fake it. Most wont hire under 2 yrs exp. Takes 5 years for a comp. To trust and make $ on your work supposedly. Keep humble and learn all ya can. And beat on the doors till someone hires ya.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    Helpers usually get 8-12$/hr here in S Carolina

Post Likes
    I started off in the OKC metro area at $11.50, then $15 after a year, up to $17.50 after some time there. There's a ceiling after that that's hard to get past.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    From your experience what is a decent weekly salary for a HVAC apprentice? also do you have benefits etc?
    Well lets see: You have your safety glasses on that's worth ten bucks an hour. As far as your arm dangling over a running unit not good, back to 9 buks an hour, leak repair in pocket-FAIL.

Post Likes
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Well lets see: You have your safety glasses on that's worth ten bucks an hour. As far as your arm dangling over a running unit not good, back to 9 buks an hour, leak repair in pocket-FAIL.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Bigger companies like Source and Linc, McQuay, Trane, when they're non-union pay about $3/Hr. above the comparable UA entry Apprentice. I guy I sent to Source started at $18/Hr, which is $3/Hr. over the 1st year Apprentice equivalent. Good luck seeing $1/Hr. per year increase though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Lets see. This particular photo was taken while running a third party call. As per their contract request any time a service tech uses more than 1lb of r-22 they demand the use of seal leak. The seal leak which runs for $48 is a far better option than replacing the outdoor condensing unit or A coil. Just happens this fixed the problem. Leak seal is great!! And they swear by it. If I can run a call and be done in 15 minutes then I much rather do that then use my leak detector and go into an attic, or having to use nitrogen or leak spray..etc. And as I mentioned this particular "third party" company demands the use of it...

As for my arm dangling over the unit, way to be a smart ass..not like I was putting weight on it..

I know you dig my safety glasses, looking good on the job ...PRICELESS!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leaker2 View Post
    Take what ever you can get. Sucks.at first, but pays off later. Im 7 or so months in doing hvac work and getting 11 / hr. Having to deal with a super tech who lies and manipulates owners to look better and shows pics of anything and everything he thinks i do wrong. But i just take it and do my best as someday i can be the real supertech and not have to fake it. Most wont hire under 2 yrs exp. Takes 5 years for a comp. To trust and make $ on your work supposedly. Keep humble and learn all ya can. And beat on the doors till someone hires ya.

I have an apprenticeship now and feel very fortunate, hoping to run this company in 3-4 years.

Post Likes
    3-4 years? Good luck!! I've been doing this 10 years, taught it for 1.5 and I'm still learning new stuff every day. If you think you can take over everything in 3-4 years, you're delusional. Especially when you have 4 threads goin about how miserable you are working with your father.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your input, but you can't predict my growth in the industry based on your experiences. I appreciate any positive criticism, but making negative inferences is a waste.

Post Likes
    I don't think it is "negitive" to point out you won't be running your Dad's company in 3-4 years. If you think it sucks now, just wait another 3-4 years. It will only get worse. It wasn't negitivity, rather reality.

I too am gung ho about getting my hands dirty. However, I realize I won't be making good money for some time, IF I take the cookie cutter route like everyone else does. I have another way of getting the experience and skills, without taking it in the wallet. If you too want to run YOUR own company, you have to stop thinking like an employee. Set your OWN goals, not goals that everyone else sets for you.

If your goal is to run someone else's company, then there is no way you will have enough experience, nor will you gain the respect of your fellow co-workers in that little of a period of time. There is a reason the salesmen don't get sent out to change out A-coils.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice

Post Likes
    Ok, maybe I exaggerated ,but can't blame someone for being gun ho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=sto2299001;14267331]Lets see. This particular photo was taken while running a third party call. As per their contract request any time a service tech uses more than 1lb of r-22 they demand the use of seal leak. The seal leak which runs for $48 is a far better option than replacing the outdoor condensing unit or A coil. Just happens this fixed the problem. Leak seal is great!!QUOTE]

I was taught that the only thing that should be in a system is refrigerant and oil. I understand that is what the contract says but have you seen any units a few years after you use it? I wouldnt swear by that crap, not trying to bust balls but just saying the best way to fix a leak is to repair it the right way. Finding it with Nitrogen and bubbles and repairing it with braze.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in