Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Good salary for HVAC apprentice?

From your experience what is a decent weekly salary for a HVAC apprentice? also do you have benefits etc?

Pends on where ya live (cost of living) whats your schooling? Ever done electrical or plumbing?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I live the DC metropolitan area. I have only taken one HVAC prep course, I have worked as a helper since April. I applied and received my apprentice license from the state. I am scheduled to take the second HVAC course in the sequence next month followed by my CFC in November. In the past 6 months I have done basically electrical..such as connecting a disconnect box and connecting the whip...checking for shorts using my meter...as for plumbing I have connected a pump, blew out consate lines, reattached PVC fittings, minor things if you consider that plumping.. I haven't removed a water-heater or anything...I have a long way to go, but have learned alot this year.

I find here is 10/hr or 100/day in NJ and these jobs 1099 you as a subcontactor paying extra taxes. It is the only way I find I can break into the field. You might want to call it "enterpreneur by necessity"

what state are you from? if from Georgia I would like to know if I'm eligible to apply for an apprentice license... here in Georgia...

Take what ever you can get. Sucks.at first, but pays off later. Im 7 or so months in doing hvac work and getting 11 / hr. Having to deal with a super tech who lies and manipulates owners to look better and shows pics of anything and everything he thinks i do wrong. But i just take it and do my best as someday i can be the real supertech and not have to fake it. Most wont hire under 2 yrs exp. Takes 5 years for a comp. To trust and make $ on your work supposedly. Keep humble and learn all ya can. And beat on the doors till someone hires ya.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

[
    Hey!

Theres only 1 supertek!!!!!

Lmao

QUOTE=leaker2;14248981]Take what ever you can get. Sucks.at first, but pays off later. Im 7 or so months in doing hvac work and getting 11 / hr. Having to deal with a super tech who lies and manipulates owners to look better and shows pics of anything and everything he thinks i do wrong. But i just take it and do my best as someday i can be the real supertech and not have to fake it. Most wont hire under 2 yrs exp. Takes 5 years for a comp. To trust and make $ on your work supposedly. Keep humble and learn all ya can. And beat on the doors till someone hires ya.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Helpers usually get 8-12$/hr here in S Carolina

I started off in the OKC metro area at $11.50, then $15 after a year, up to $17.50 after some time there. There's a ceiling after that that's hard to get past.

Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    From your experience what is a decent weekly salary for a HVAC apprentice? also do you have benefits etc?
    Well lets see: You have your safety glasses on that's worth ten bucks an hour. As far as your arm dangling over a running unit not good, back to 9 buks an hour, leak repair in pocket-FAIL.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Well lets see: You have your safety glasses on that's worth ten bucks an hour. As far as your arm dangling over a running unit not good, back to 9 buks an hour, leak repair in pocket-FAIL.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Bigger companies like Source and Linc, McQuay, Trane, when they're non-union pay about $3/Hr. above the comparable UA entry Apprentice. I guy I sent to Source started at $18/Hr, which is $3/Hr. over the 1st year Apprentice equivalent. Good luck seeing $1/Hr. per year increase though.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Lets see. This particular photo was taken while running a third party call. As per their contract request any time a service tech uses more than 1lb of r-22 they demand the use of seal leak. The seal leak which runs for $48 is a far better option than replacing the outdoor condensing unit or A coil. Just happens this fixed the problem. Leak seal is great!! And they swear by it. If I can run a call and be done in 15 minutes then I much rather do that then use my leak detector and go into an attic, or having to use nitrogen or leak spray..etc. And as I mentioned this particular "third party" company demands the use of it...

As for my arm dangling over the unit, way to be a smart ass..not like I was putting weight on it..

I know you dig my safety glasses, looking good on the job ...PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast