Thread: MJZ

Post Likes

MJZ

I have a 4-seasons room approx 15'x15' with a 12' ceiling (observitory all glass) I installed this room on a deck in the rear of my home seperated by french doors and a single door to a kitchen area. After last year's install I used a gas fired garage heater that was ventless until I could come up with a better system for this room (wanted to use the room last winter) as many of you already can surmise, the room had the smell of gas and created film on windows. I have researched several options including direct vent --through the wall units manufactured by Williams and several other available units. The problem is I have a 12" base around the room from the floor to the start of the windows that won't allow a direct vent (to short) Another option is the 2 piece unit like (MItsubishi) that is electrical and the main compressor unit is outside. Althogh this is possible, I live in Wisconsin and I have found that these units won't produce heat in sub-zero weather. My idea is to have installed a 30,000 btu (HOT-DAWG) unit in my basement directly under the wall seperated by both doorways. The venting could run straight up and push heat into this room that would be dedicated to this room only. When we use this room, all the doors are open to all other rooms---when it's lights out, we close the doors and turn the temp down into the low 50's. Now I find that Goodman has a more efficient 48,000 btu 2-stage furnace that I would like to run the same way as the Modine Hot-dawg. I am certainly not a contractor and so to old to be hanging this unit on my own, I would only use a qualified pro to make the install. My quarry to you is this idea possible ? Do I have to worry about issues of air returns or with some advise can this idea work ??? I am a retired Buff pilot and just want to watch the Pack and stay warm this winter---can anyone help ???? Thank You

Post Likes
    wrong forum?

Post Likes
    yoo hoo! Moderator! This the right forum?! Wakey ! Wakey!

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP Residential.

Post Likes
    Post a drawing of your idea, its easier to understand then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    yoo hoo! Moderator! This the right forum?! Wakey ! Wakey!
    Next time, use the report button to let us know a thread is in the wrong forum, and needs to be moved.

Post Likes
    oops! Uhh! where's the report button?

5:17 a. m.?! Really?! I hope I didn't wake you!

Post Likes

JP was on-call, and beenthere was his backup last night.

Mitsubishi has some minisplit units that can do subzero, and still maintain the same BTU output.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes

The report button is the small, black triangle with an exclamation point in it below each post.

Post Likes
    Using garage heatres for a 4 season room, IMO... is really cheesy.

I would put in a direct vent gas or wood stove. You could have the glass panel that sits behind the stove repalced with Lexan and cut a hole for the vent. Just make sure ot use thimball (sp?) and then have it properly sealed and flashed with high temp rated materials.

Otherwise, just a basic 45k BTU single stage 90% furnace isn't that expensive and located on a outside wall only needs 1 pipe and with minimal elbows might need as small as 1-1/2" or 2" PVC (refer to mfg installation manual).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in