Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here are pictures of the unit. The supply running out of the top is 20" x 16" and it runs into an 8" x 16" and an 8" x 12" duct. Both have a damper on them. The return is 28" x 8.5".

The installer also insisted on opening some of the return duct work in the basement so alleviate some pressure. The grill you see here hides one of those holes. It's about 8" x 8". There's another, much larger hole at the end of the return. It's probably a good 12" x 12".

Name:  IMG_1038.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  33.5 KBName:  IMG_1039.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  33.1 KBName:  IMG_1041.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  45.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    Here are pictures of the unit. The supply running out of the top is 20" x 16" and it runs into an 8" x 16" and an 8" x 12" duct. Both have a damper on them. The return is 28" x 8.5".

The installer also insisted on opening some of the return duct work in the basement so alleviate some pressure. The grill you see here hides one of those holes. It's about 8" x 8". There's another, much larger hole at the end of the return. It's probably a good 12" x 12".

Name:  IMG_1038.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  33.5 KBName:  IMG_1039.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  33.1 KBName:  IMG_1041.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  45.7 KB
    Where are you in N Va.?

Looks like a fairly good install from here but sounds like the contractor may have gotten in over his head and doesn't have the knowledge needed to install and service a geothermal system properly. You need to find a contractor who is experienced with the machine to find out what is going on, it may be that the loop is insufficient like others have stated but it will take an experienced tech on site to figure it out. Good luck to you

Good thing you don't have any fuel burning appliances in your basement. Or it would suck the fumes into that return opening.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As a follow up to the possible issues with the length of the loop. The installer did mention something about mixing the grout in such a way so as to have increased conductivity. The horizontal runs are 2x150' and they go from a depth of 4' at the ends to maybe 15' or more in the middle.

Also, SkyHeating posted some video of some horizontal loop. In our case, I know the tubes were larger than that. I wish I had a sample around somewhere to measure but I'd say it was at least 1.5" tube and maybe 2".

Is it possible that was enough to provide for a 3-ton unit?

3 possibitities
    1,Equipment not installed properly, 2,not enough pipe or 3. the duct issue
    Seems if you call the equipment rep/ factory question 1 and 2 can be answered and they may have an opinion about 3 as well.

The Equipment manufacturer's reputation is also on the line, so involne them
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Should not have return from the basement. All returns should be from the conditioned space.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Have you posted the water loop temperatures? If we knew the circulation pump model, pressure drop across the pump and water temps, we could tell you what capacity the system is running at. In a perfect world, any water cooled system gets temprature and pressure gauges installed. If the loop is undersized, water temps will be high. A compressor only see refrigerant pressure. It doesn't know if it's air cooled or water cooled. The refrigerant just gives up heat through a copper or stainless steel tube. It doesn't care what's compressing it. So if water temps get up around 100F and/or water flow is low, it's not going operate any better than an air cooled system... except it has a slightly smaller compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    As a follow up to the possible issues with the length of the loop. The installer did mention something about mixing the grout in such a way so as to have increased conductivity. The horizontal runs are 2x150' and they go from a depth of 4' at the ends to maybe 15' or more in the middle.

Also, SkyHeating posted some video of some horizontal loop. In our case, I know the tubes were larger than that. I wish I had a sample around somewhere to measure but I'd say it was at least 1.5" tube and maybe 2".

Is it possible that was enough to provide for a 3-ton unit?

I hope that the loop pipes were not 1 1/2 -2". Loop tubing needs to be small enough to cause turbulance to get good heat transfer which is part of the reason for more footage to handle the flow. Generally the size pipe you mention is for headers, manifolds, etc getting from the pump package to the loop field. Normally our loops are sized using 3/4" tubes. I don't ussually do horizontal loops because around here you can do a 200" vertical well and have the end of the loop have water around it for better heat transfer.

As stated by others it sounds like you have duct issues as well as loop issues but I don't think that it is to a point beyond repair, you just need a very good contractor to come out and make adjustments to whats there. You need ot make sure he understands all aspects of what has been done and what you want when he is finished. for example if you just show him the duct and don't clue him in on the loop he will be scratching his head on why it doesn't work right. Yes he will figure it out but it will just take a lot longer.

You may also need to get the local licensing/building dept involved. You have rights which may need to be protected, do not pay the final 10% unless you are satisfied (not legal advice here, just my opinion), also, let your contractor know that you intend to start asking some questions down at city hall, you may be shocked at how quickly this gets fixed.

Geothermal Startup.pdf
    I have e-mailed the homeowner the attached form to get somebody to fill out so we can get the proper information needed to asses at least the geo install and if thats good then maybe we can further look into the ductwork.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12