Wrapped coolant line in the plenum, now a safety issue?

This summer I noticed lots of water pooling on the top of my furnace at the plenum. I opened up the plenum and found one of the copper pipes running out to the compressor (the larger one) had condensation forming on it that was dripping down and not being caught by the pan below the coils. This pipe was wrapped outside of the plenum and the "putty" at the opening of the plenum was in good shape. As an experiment, I wrapped the pipe inside the plenum with some standard shipping bubble wrap and electric tape and put everything back together. This solved the problem. I made a mental note to call an HVAC contractor before fall for a permanent fix.

It was a busy summer. And I'm forgetful.

My furnace is now kicking on here in Wisconsin and I'm concerned about this bubble wrap and electric tape in the plenum area. It doesn't feel too hot on the outside of the plenum in that area, but I'm concerned this stuff could eventually melt or burn. My preferred HVAC guy is busy this time of year and it will take him a few weeks to get out.

Here's my question: how concerned should I be about the bubble wrap and electric tape inside the plenum during heating season? Should I take the time to remove this stuff right away until a professional can get out or is this not that big of a deal?

Sounds like a Rheem coil, if this is factory piping then I would recommend replacing the bubble wrap with close cell insulation, get it in any plumbing supplier. Doesn't sound like a safety issue, but certainly a little "ghetto". Pics would help if I'm not understanding the piping set-up. Good luck

I don't have a pic inside the plenum, but here's the outside. It's the top line that I wrapped inside the plenum. The outside was already wrapped.

Name:  IMG_20120919_105946_536.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  25.1 KB

Are you in the ATL area?

Nope... Wisconsin.

get the bubble wrap out of there ASAP. no way that's rated for temps inside the plenum.

x2..if you are using the furnace now..take the bubble wrap off ASAP!

google armaflex brand
    here is one link that shows the different sizes of what you want.
    http://www.statesupply.com/maintenan...ipe-insulation
    not saying order from them, you should be able to buy one piece at hd or lowes.
    if not hvac supply.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Thanks... will do. Looks like the tape has the same fire reaction rating as the sheets (b-s3, d0), so will probably go that route given minimal clearance.

I worked for a Bethke in Atl long time ago is why I asked, bubble wrap melts at around 200F, so no fire hazard, but definitely wrap it correctly.