Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Glycol power packs......tell me all about them

Was at a bar/restaurant today to fix their make up air unit. While I was in the basement I saw that the pump was leaking on the power pack for their long draw tap system. Im going to bring this up to them when I go back with the motor for the make up air system. I have never worked on one of these before. This one is a Banner brand

There are some other issues I would like to address, but I don't know the answers to them:

what temperature should this thing be running? its at 37 degrees right now.
    What should the glycol percentage be? It pure water right now.

Any idea where i can find a manual for this unit online? nothing on the banner website.

I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I found that website, but it has absolutely nothing technical on it. Theres one PDF brochure, but its just a sales brochure with capacities on it and nothing more.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

that link was helpful, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    that link was helpful, thanks
    Your welcome.

It's been a long time but as I recall -

The glycol temp wants to be just under the beer's storage temp. The key to a happy long-line system is that the beer at the tap NOT increase in temperature during the trip from the storage. Adjust the glycol temp accordingly.

The dispensed beer can take maybe ONE degree warmer, but it's better to have the dispensed beer temperature either the same as the storage or a degree or so Less than storage.

Hope that helps.

BTW: the Less glycol the More efficient will be the heat exchange rate. The specific heat of the glycol will decrease almost one-for-one.

So you want the least glycol that will do the job. Figure 35 degree fluid temp. A 10 degree TD on the chiller gets you to a 25 degree evap temp. So work out the glycol ratio to give you a freeze point of 15 degrees and set the LP control a pound or two above that.

Or . . . . that's about what I would do on a busy and warm/bad beer Friday night. On a Tuesday morning job maybe call the maker and get the exact specs. <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Was at a bar/restaurant today to fix their make up air unit. While I was in the basement I saw that the pump was leaking on the power pack for their long draw tap system. Im going to bring this up to them when I go back with the motor for the make up air system. I have never worked on one of these before. This one is a Banner brand

There are some other issues I would like to address, but I don't know the answers to them:

what temperature should this thing be running? its at 37 degrees right now.
    What should the glycol percentage be? It pure water right now.

Any idea where i can find a manual for this unit online? nothing on the banner website.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Any new info here? Same thing happend to me today and I'm not familier with them.

How can I help you Joe ?

What do you want to know Joe? I'm no expert but I built one a few months ago which is working well. I just used a roll of 3/8" for the evap and sized the cap tube to the 4440 condensing unit capacity. It easily holds the glycol at about 28Ί.

This one uses a carbon-vane carbonator pump for the glycol flow.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph12345 View Post
    Any new info here? Same thing happend to me today and I'm not familier with them.
    PHM
    --------

I haven't done much research yet, I want visuals to see exactly what's going on and why

Because all I see is a box with a condenser on top and pumps mounted on the side, so it makes me think its very complex inside but I do not know

Preferably a banner for starters

Typically there is a fluid bath / tub. Inside that tank / tub is a coil of copper tubing. When the tub is filled with the glycol/water brine the copper coil is submerged in the fluid. The copper coil is the evaporator which cools the brine in the tank. A pump (usually positive displacement - because of possible slushing) pumps the brine out, along the beer lines, and back to the tub.

The condensing unit is controlled by a remote bulb thermostat which senses the brine temperature. Start with the cut-in at 30Ί - cutout at 25Ί and then go test the beer temperature. I call this: The Two Beer Test.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph12345 View Post
    Because all I see is a box with a condenser on top and pumps mounted on the side, so it makes me think its very complex inside but I do not know
    PHM
    --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast