+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The american worker

Post Likes

The american worker

there was a time when the american worker made really good things. So good, in fact, that an MBA realized that stuff didnt break. He then ewent to the american worker, and discussed how to make an inferior product, and lower the amount of pride that american workers have in their career paths. wanting to slowly erode the american standard of living, and make his kids have to work harder, for less, the american worker thought, jeez, this is simple. i will walk into engineering, and show them how to make an inferior product, that will cost less, and break more often.

the worker, singlehandedly, started the downfall of the greatest economy on earth to date. fortunately, his ideas made millions for companies. the copanies in turn, had their friends talk to their american workers, to find ways to make all products less expensive, and less robust. you see, it could only be the workers doing this, as they were unionized, and are known to be the only people who destroy businesses. so, the trend continued, and workers from all over the land snuck into engineering offices at night and on weekends, and changed whole designs of products. this included specifying less expensive casings to save money on metals, smaller gages on wires to save money there, and smaller circuits on printed circuit boards to save money there.

eventually, the american worker realized that things were still expensive, so he went ot school at night, and learned plastics engineering. he eventually introduced plastics into everyday life. he also went to school to become an english major, so he could invent buzzwords like shareholder valve, and ebidta. he worked tirelessly to change the entire culture of business.

funny thing though....this american worker had no desire to profit from his troubles. he didnt care that he had singlehandedly changed the landscape of the american economy. NO!! what he really wanted was a bad reputation, and less money. so, he continued to make changes until he realized that his wages were just too expensive. he then helped develop a plan to ship his very own job offshore to save money. being such a good worker, he then agreed that the management teams he was helping should see huge gains in their salaries, but he should only get minimal gains, after all a paper pusher is waay more valuable than a guy who makes stuff with his hands and mind.

seems that he failed in his mission though, as it took until his grandchildren were of working age for his efforts to mean anytihng, and he is now nearly dead. its a shame though, seems like he forgot to wreck his pension plan that he had from his union.

Post Likes
    That effer should have kept his head down and mouth shut.

Things always change and they always will. Americans today have a nice standard of living, thanks in part to inexpensive stuff.

Everyones gotta learn a skill and they will make it as long as they are willing to work hard. That has not changed.

Post Likes
    YO FLANGE,, AND I THOUGHT THAT I WAS NEGATIVE!!!
    We have all been guilt of quantity vs quality for some time. The Japs and Krauts had to remind us that people won't just buy our crap automobiles. We needed to produce something that was designed and built better. All the Pride in the world can't turn a bad design into a silk purse. Good ojbs and good work needs a good buyer who is looking for the lowest life/owning cost NOT just the lowest first cost. That's if you can find someone who knows how to design a quality job.

What was you bottom line conclusion anyway?

Mike
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    American business model: what's the cheapest product we can make?

European /Asian model:
    What's the best product we can make?

Post Likes
    "Made in the USA" used to mean something. And it still does to a certain degree depending on what you buy, but lately even the company's that were making quality product seem to be jumping ship and going to China or Mexico. It's no secrect about what makes a strong national economy, strong local economies make a strong national economies and we are a Walmart nation. Somehow somewhere things got derailed and the business motto became "greet is good".

People's idea of patriotism seemed to get derailed also, I had some jerkoff come up to me one time and give me sh*t for not having an american flag on my car. I told him I do, that it was displayed on the front grille of my truck. He looked and said where, I pointed to the GMC emblem and said see, it says U-S-A. Then berated hime for driving a Kia with a cheap flag in the window that was made in China.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    "Made in the USA" used to mean something. And it still does to a certain degree depending on what you buy, but lately even the company's that were making quality product seem to be jumping ship and going to China or Mexico. It's no secrect about what makes a strong national economy, strong local economies make a strong national economies and we are a Walmart nation. Somehow somewhere things got derailed and the business motto became "greet is good".

People's idea of patriotism seemed to get derailed also, I had some jerkoff come up to me one time and give me sh*t for not having an american flag on my car. I told him I do, that it was displayed on the front grille of my truck. He looked and said where, I pointed to the GMC emblem and said see, it says U-S-A. Then berated hime for driving a Kia with a cheap flag in the window that was made in China.
    Vehicles Made in Americe
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks
    Edit: Another site
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03...n-america.html
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    "MADE IN THE USA" means quality, good craftsmanship, means the very best, nothing can come closer in quality to American made tools!!! While Spaniards are taking their siesta we are busting our behinds working!!! I proudly belong to a union where we promote American made products.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    "MADE IN THE USA" means quality, good craftsmanship, means the very best, nothing can come closer in quality to American made tools!!! While Spaniards are taking their siesta we are busting our behinds working!!! I proudly belong to a union where we promote American made products.
    And it should, but we have UAW companies that don't care about UAW employees. Detriot was America. The japs employ more americans than the American companies do in the auto industry.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    No consideration given to the American Consumer.

The American Consumer than purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE.

That demand for the lowest priced item leads to engineering to the cheapest design possible. When the design can't be cheapened any further, it is then outsourced to be built in sweat-shops.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

The American Consumer than purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE.

That demand for the lowest priced item leads to engineering to the cheapest design possible. When the design can't be cheapened any further, it is then outsourced to be built in sweat-shops.
    No, no. a lot of has to do with the american consumer basing there ther purchacing on a strictly monetary basis, like settling for sub par food when you go out for diner because they give you a lot. And I agree, they "purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE." And pretty much bought themselves out of a job. If people want the economy to thrive again start shopping at the mom & pop stores before all have is Walmart, Home Depots & Olive Gardens.

Post Likes
    For example, I have a 1950's Westinghouse refrigerator in my garage and it still works great! Still the same freezone in it from the day it was tested at the factory and all original parts including the door seal.

When was the last time you had an appliance last 60 years?

What a great way to cut down on resources and garbage!....make things to last like they used to.

Curtis Mathus televisions used to last forever as well, same with Macintosh stereo systems.

Post Likes
    As a former Toyota employee (in America, Teamsters union) quality was a very high priority, and yes the products were built with pride. As a former commercial airline manufacturer (rivet monkey, UAW union) the product was built with pride and quality. If any corners wer being cut it certainly had nothing to do with six pack joe baby, mabye sum scumbag lawyers and engineers were cheaping down the product but not us. Working on ac systems I sure see some crapola but I'm just there to fix it not to desighn it. Besides all of that this economy has been a service economy for years, not an manufacturing economy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I look for QUALITY and VALUE in the majority of my purchases, as I imagine most of us on this site do, as we are mostly intelligent craftsmen who take pride in our work. I'd like to think that there are enough of us out there to support higher price points on quality items just like people did in the old days when China was a communist country that we wouldn't do business with and shareholder STOCK PRICE didn't rule the world! If every company was a sole proprietorship, and his or her good name was on it, you could bet on it being a quality product! Just my 2 cents.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    . Besides all of that this economy has been a service economy for years, not an manufacturing economy.
    Maybe that's the point, I definatley wasn't around back then but america seemed like a better place to live for everyone when it was a manufacturing economy. Just my opnion, I wasn't around back then, but I do remember when our toy trucks went from metal Tonka toys to plastic crap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I look for QUALITY and VALUE in the majority of my purchases, ...
    I do also, one thing I have learning is you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    Too many people have the harbor Freight Tools mentality and buy cheap knock-offs that MAY work OK but won't last long term. I had to buy a special suspension tool for my pickup last year. The parts guy showed me the store brand (made in China). I asked if they had a made in USA tool. They had a brand made in the US, Lisle (sp) that was all dusty. He said the store brand was 1/2 the price. I bought the good tool and it worked flawlessly. I've had Chinese stuff twist and break due to lower quality steels and heat treatments. You can make products look identical but the engineering and finishing still is not the same.

Read a piece about some guy that bought some knockoff Callaway golf clubs and shipped them home. All of them broke. He tried to return them to Callaway for a refund and when they checked them out found the shafts were made of inferior material. The look was perfect but the quality was not.

As a small business owner, I think corporate greed may have some part to play in sending jobs abroad but I also look at all the crap the govt. requires, especially if you are hiring people. If you are big enough and dont' have the "right" mix of ethnicities and gender, the EEOC will be looking to take you to court on behalf of some pissed off applicant. Lots of other regs that do nothing for the worker or the company that hinder job growth and creation.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Post Likes
    Remember just because it says made in USA dosen't mean here on our soil. It could be made in Phillipines or Guam or some crazy place with a USA stamp on it. I think the US car manufacturers really let the Unions own their a%%es in the early years, driving down quality and raising worker pay and benifits. Look at the port workers with their Longshoreman Unions, I've known a lot of them who get paid 10 hours and only actuaqlly are on the job for four if they are lucku, then they brag about how much easy money their are making 40 or 50 bucks an hour pl,us OT, benis out the ying yang. If you belong to a pipe fitters or refer union you know you will be getting squeezed for every ounce of work you got and then some.Unions work if they are implemented with company growth and profit plans, If the Unions are bleeding the companys' resourses to death it's a failing system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    Maybe that's the point, I definatley wasn't around back then but america seemed like a better place to live for everyone when it was a manufacturing economy. Just my opnion, I wasn't around back then, but I do remember when our toy trucks went from metal Tonka toys to plastic crap.
    I agree 100%!! And the metal Tonkas are still around and growing in value!

Post Likes
    I think the bottom line is "greed", from companies that want to make huge profits and sacirfice quality, to workers who want to make a lot of $$$ and not be productive, to investers who demand outrages returns on there investments at any cost. 12% return on your investment used to be great at one time, then it had to be 25%-30%-35%. And don't get me wrong everyone wants to prosper and there's nothing wrong with that, but at what expense. Me personally, I perfer to make an honest living, supply a quality product at a fair price, try to keep customers happy, try to keep the help happy and try to raise everyone's standard living. I think greed is a disease and the cure for it is good chacacter.

We all no we can sell a homeowner a new condenser during a heatwave when just the capacitor is blown, but we don't because it's simply not the right thing to do. But it just seems like no one else realizes this or just doesn't care and is out to make a fast buck and it's just breaking down the whole system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by texas cooler View Post
    Too many people have the harbor Freight Tools mentality and buy cheap knock-offs that MAY work OK but won't last long term.
    Sears is making most of the Craftsman tools in China but are keeping prices the same as when the tools ware made here.
    Chinese middle class (is there is such thing) prefer American made goods, they love Ford and Chevy overthere, Here we are becoming accustomed to cheap disposable foreign made junk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in