Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The american worker

there was a time when the american worker made really good things. So good, in fact, that an MBA realized that stuff didnt break. He then ewent to the american worker, and discussed how to make an inferior product, and lower the amount of pride that american workers have in their career paths. wanting to slowly erode the american standard of living, and make his kids have to work harder, for less, the american worker thought, jeez, this is simple. i will walk into engineering, and show them how to make an inferior product, that will cost less, and break more often.

the worker, singlehandedly, started the downfall of the greatest economy on earth to date. fortunately, his ideas made millions for companies. the copanies in turn, had their friends talk to their american workers, to find ways to make all products less expensive, and less robust. you see, it could only be the workers doing this, as they were unionized, and are known to be the only people who destroy businesses. so, the trend continued, and workers from all over the land snuck into engineering offices at night and on weekends, and changed whole designs of products. this included specifying less expensive casings to save money on metals, smaller gages on wires to save money there, and smaller circuits on printed circuit boards to save money there.

eventually, the american worker realized that things were still expensive, so he went ot school at night, and learned plastics engineering. he eventually introduced plastics into everyday life. he also went to school to become an english major, so he could invent buzzwords like shareholder valve, and ebidta. he worked tirelessly to change the entire culture of business.

funny thing though....this american worker had no desire to profit from his troubles. he didnt care that he had singlehandedly changed the landscape of the american economy. NO!! what he really wanted was a bad reputation, and less money. so, he continued to make changes until he realized that his wages were just too expensive. he then helped develop a plan to ship his very own job offshore to save money. being such a good worker, he then agreed that the management teams he was helping should see huge gains in their salaries, but he should only get minimal gains, after all a paper pusher is waay more valuable than a guy who makes stuff with his hands and mind.

seems that he failed in his mission though, as it took until his grandchildren were of working age for his efforts to mean anytihng, and he is now nearly dead. its a shame though, seems like he forgot to wreck his pension plan that he had from his union.

That effer should have kept his head down and mouth shut.

Things always change and they always will. Americans today have a nice standard of living, thanks in part to inexpensive stuff.

Everyones gotta learn a skill and they will make it as long as they are willing to work hard. That has not changed.

YO FLANGE,, AND I THOUGHT THAT I WAS NEGATIVE!!!
    We have all been guilt of quantity vs quality for some time. The Japs and Krauts had to remind us that people won't just buy our crap automobiles. We needed to produce something that was designed and built better. All the Pride in the world can't turn a bad design into a silk purse. Good ojbs and good work needs a good buyer who is looking for the lowest life/owning cost NOT just the lowest first cost. That's if you can find someone who knows how to design a quality job.

What was you bottom line conclusion anyway?

Mike
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    American business model: what's the cheapest product we can make?

European /Asian model:
    What's the best product we can make?

"Made in the USA" used to mean something. And it still does to a certain degree depending on what you buy, but lately even the company's that were making quality product seem to be jumping ship and going to China or Mexico. It's no secrect about what makes a strong national economy, strong local economies make a strong national economies and we are a Walmart nation. Somehow somewhere things got derailed and the business motto became "greet is good".

People's idea of patriotism seemed to get derailed also, I had some jerkoff come up to me one time and give me sh*t for not having an american flag on my car. I told him I do, that it was displayed on the front grille of my truck. He looked and said where, I pointed to the GMC emblem and said see, it says U-S-A. Then berated hime for driving a Kia with a cheap flag in the window that was made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    "Made in the USA" used to mean something. And it still does to a certain degree depending on what you buy, but lately even the company's that were making quality product seem to be jumping ship and going to China or Mexico. It's no secrect about what makes a strong national economy, strong local economies make a strong national economies and we are a Walmart nation. Somehow somewhere things got derailed and the business motto became "greet is good".

People's idea of patriotism seemed to get derailed also, I had some jerkoff come up to me one time and give me sh*t for not having an american flag on my car. I told him I do, that it was displayed on the front grille of my truck. He looked and said where, I pointed to the GMC emblem and said see, it says U-S-A. Then berated hime for driving a Kia with a cheap flag in the window that was made in China.
    Vehicles Made in Americe
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks
    Edit: Another site
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03...n-america.html
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

"MADE IN THE USA" means quality, good craftsmanship, means the very best, nothing can come closer in quality to American made tools!!! While Spaniards are taking their siesta we are busting our behinds working!!! I proudly belong to a union where we promote American made products.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    "MADE IN THE USA" means quality, good craftsmanship, means the very best, nothing can come closer in quality to American made tools!!! While Spaniards are taking their siesta we are busting our behinds working!!! I proudly belong to a union where we promote American made products.
    And it should, but we have UAW companies that don't care about UAW employees. Detriot was America. The japs employ more americans than the American companies do in the auto industry.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    No consideration given to the American Consumer.

The American Consumer than purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE.

That demand for the lowest priced item leads to engineering to the cheapest design possible. When the design can't be cheapened any further, it is then outsourced to be built in sweat-shops.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

The American Consumer than purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE.

That demand for the lowest priced item leads to engineering to the cheapest design possible. When the design can't be cheapened any further, it is then outsourced to be built in sweat-shops.
    No, no. a lot of has to do with the american consumer basing there ther purchacing on a strictly monetary basis, like settling for sub par food when you go out for diner because they give you a lot. And I agree, they "purchases goods based not on value and quality, but based solely on PRICE." And pretty much bought themselves out of a job. If people want the economy to thrive again start shopping at the mom & pop stores before all have is Walmart, Home Depots & Olive Gardens.

For example, I have a 1950's Westinghouse refrigerator in my garage and it still works great! Still the same freezone in it from the day it was tested at the factory and all original parts including the door seal.

When was the last time you had an appliance last 60 years?

What a great way to cut down on resources and garbage!....make things to last like they used to.

Curtis Mathus televisions used to last forever as well, same with Macintosh stereo systems.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

As a former Toyota employee (in America, Teamsters union) quality was a very high priority, and yes the products were built with pride. As a former commercial airline manufacturer (rivet monkey, UAW union) the product was built with pride and quality. If any corners wer being cut it certainly had nothing to do with six pack joe baby, mabye sum scumbag lawyers and engineers were cheaping down the product but not us. Working on ac systems I sure see some crapola but I'm just there to fix it not to desighn it. Besides all of that this economy has been a service economy for years, not an manufacturing economy.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I look for QUALITY and VALUE in the majority of my purchases, as I imagine most of us on this site do, as we are mostly intelligent craftsmen who take pride in our work. I'd like to think that there are enough of us out there to support higher price points on quality items just like people did in the old days when China was a communist country that we wouldn't do business with and shareholder STOCK PRICE didn't rule the world! If every company was a sole proprietorship, and his or her good name was on it, you could bet on it being a quality product! Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast