about my new system and how it was installed.

If you're not familiar with what I'm referring to, please see this thread:

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=115369

Anyway, on to a new question. As you can see (hopefully) in the following picture, the air is distributed through a very long (30') and VERY expensive piece of ductwork.

On another house I owned the conditioned air was distributed via a reasonably sized plenum box at the end of the AH (vertical AH inside a closet then up into the attic), say 4' long with circular cut-outs on three sides for rigid round pipes to distribute air to various locations. Some of the round pipes split a time or two to account for all the rooms. Again looking at the pictures and seeing how much duct work I have in my attic, wouldn't it have been much better, cheaper and efficient to do a similar install here. Also, wouldn't such a system completely eliminate the undersized duct and "T" questions that so many mentioned?

I've always questioned this facet of the install and would like your opinions.

Thanks.

Ive havent done any new residential installs, let alone much resi work. 98% of my experience is Commercial...mostly pump and dump systems. But what you have here appears to be a crappy duct job. Dont quote me on that, but it does look like quite a bit of tin to be strung out around the house. Of course, at my old house, the duct work was similar but only because the house required it to be that way. There are entirely too many nooks and crannies under that house to run any kind of decent duct configuration. My first question would be why wasnt the unit more centered thus reducing the chances of uneven air distribution? seems the air is possibly "spread too thin"

thats just my two hundreths of a dollar

[Edited by bdclark on 10-02-2006 at 02:35 PM]
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

Originally posted by bdclark
    My first question would be why wasnt the unit more centered thus reducing the chances of uneven air distribution? seems the air is possibly "spread too thin"

[Edited by bdclark on 10-02-2006 at 02:35 PM]
    bdclark, the unit is fairly centered. The picture is from one end of the trunk duct and shows the whole length (kinda hard to tell from the picture). Regardless, there *ARE* balancing problems as stated in the other thread.

You live in a metal building? Looks like a good install, from what I can see.

Doesn't look bad to me, I would hate to install a spider system such as you first described.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Equipment placement has no bearing on air distribution if the duct work is properly sized to accomadate the length of duct runs etc.

The paramont concern of equipment placement is future serviceability.

Originally posted by troyorr
    You live in a metal building?
    No, it's a flat-roofed house with a pitched metal roof installed on top.

From what I see, It looks like a nice, well thought out job. If the trunk line reduces as the lines are taken off, everything is supported and insulated, then you should be excited. There are "balancing problems" on all systems, that is why there is procedures to balance duct systems.
    Did you make it clear to your HVAC Contractor that you had other plans for the space in your attic? And did you make it clear to them that cheaper was more important then best?
    And as for;
    ("Again looking at the pictures and seeing how much duct work I have in my attic, wouldn't it have been much better, cheaper and efficient to do a similar install here.")The answer is NO.

IcyFlame

Did you make it clear to your HVAC Contractor that you had other plans for the space in your attic? And did you make it clear to them that cheaper was more important then best?
    No plans for the space up there....never even thought about using it as there really is no good access.

Again, the answer is no. If you read the other thread I started, I stated that I've always been more concerned with correctness than cheapness. The guy who installed the system had an open checkbook the entire time.