Trane Voyager restricted orifices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trane Voyager restricted orifices

Trane Voyager restricted orifices
    M#YCD180B3L0EA
    S#M451022097D

has any one found an easy way to clean out the restricted orifices without installing a new orfice tube kit or and without installing a txv kit.

the reason i am asking is we have a unit with restricted orifices and the new orifice tube has a four week lead time.
    my customer can't wait that long.

I was thinking i could possibly cut the 3/8" lines connecting to the orifice and using a needle i could remove the restrictions
    then add 3/8" couplings and solder it back up

[Edited by joeywpittman on 10-02-2006 at 02:25 PM]

Take a torch and heat each orifice to melt the wax. Not too much heat that you will have freon spraying out.

This may help you by until the new parts are in. I prefer the TXV. It take the same amount of labor to install them and the new orifice crap

You could try it that way, but I assure you, I have worked on over 250 of these units (NO JOKE) for the factory and you cannot, cannot, cannot make these units run properly without replacing the 16in3 drier with a 30in3 drier and installing a txv. I have replaced driers on about 30 units, returned 4 months later and they are stopped up again. completely. Run superheat test over a period of three months after you clean the BRASS orifices (which I would not heat under any circumstances) and watch, even as the ODA increases, superheat will likely increase also. Ive seen These machines run about 45 deg superheat on a 65 degree day, the oil is wrong, the charge is wrong, the driers are wrong, the compressors are wrong...Put a TXV in and you wont have to keep on working on the unit, otherwise you will spend many many man hours on call backs.

One note, the compressors are not designed to run over 20 degrees superheat at the compressors...how can they achieve that SH besides a TXV? the orifices obviously cannot do the job
    Add 2 lbs of R22 when you replace the drier. Total charge should be (i think) 28 lbs in the 10 ton circuit.

No cheap way around it man, it might be cheaper to replace the headers, but they'll just stop up again.

[Edited by bdclark on 10-02-2006 at 04:14 PM]
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

So apparently "you can stop a trane",.

Originally posted by flange
    So apparently "you can stop a trane",.

refer to signature.

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

Are they back to winding lamination clogging the orifices? That was the presumption 3.5 years ago as I was walking out the door. You think they would've fixed this issue by now.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Are they back to winding lamination clogging the orifices? That was the presumption 3.5 years ago as I was walking out the door. You think they would've fixed this issue by now.
    Check "Trane BIG Oops" also in Commercial thread, I believe it is discussed there

Is that what the glop is on the voyagers in the check valves too? Last week had one (on top of the trane factory. ironic huh?)with all 4 check valve strainers full of crud. When the tech changed them out the heat carbonized the crud in them but the crap was at least the size of a pencil eraser. Next time i would remove it with a tubing cutter to see exactly what is there. There are like 25 of these units on the roof so.......good luck Trane...... lol

Frown

Have several of these units, Trane offered a TXV repair kit but no labor allowance. Its not worth the effort or labor cost to try and clean these. Unlike cars, no one is held accountable for obvious engineering defects! G
    An astronaut stuck in space was asked by a reporter, "How do you feel?"
    "How would you feel," the astronaut replied, "if you were stuck here, on top of 20,000 parts each one supplied by the lowest bidder?"

"do it right or do it twice"

sorry jrbenny, I should have said this earlier. In my personal belief, "shalac"/ winding lamination is an effect of the problem not a cause. I could be wrong but I think the problem has more to do with the orifices themselves and the oil. Most of the problematic units I have run across also had no crankcase heaters. Many of the compressors fail due to what I believe to be flooded starts and oil breakdown caused by the orifices.

change in orifice size

when they went from the orange to green compressors in 96 they also reduced the oifice size( susposedly for increased eff.) however the oil number is different, they have had three diff oils in these machines since then, however the problem still exists
    could be the reduced size is causing increase velocities thru orf. but with that comes heating as the oil is compressed thu the orfice, we saw an unit in phoenix that was 6 months old with clogging orfices,
    the was from oct to march.
    low loads ops, but then we get into the fan cycling and subcooling issues, as well as low load issues
    but agin the 50 degree superheat on an compressor that comes from them that is in their own paperwork limited to 20 degrees of superheat
    they say one thing and do something else
    cant they take their own paperwork and apply it??????????
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

It's hard to stop a Trane..
    It's EVEN harder to get a Trane running.

well lets see

Originally posted by berg2666
    It's hard to stop a Trane..
    It's EVEN harder to get a Trane running.
    i would say its harder to keep them running
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast