Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Are the fresh air intake and exhaust connected to the furnace via the two plastic pipe? Is there an additional fresh air inlet?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Good chance your getting the fumes from the water heater drawn into the intake.
    X2

You need to get someone with an accurate CO test instrument to check for ppm (parts per million) of CO in the home. Most co detectors are not sensitive enough to detect dangerous co levels until about 2 seconds before you pass out or never detect it at all

Thanks for the input. The HVAC gentleman is coming back tomorrow. I mentioned that to him the other day, and he informed me that "the fresh air intake is only for the flame and should not matter that it is near the exhaust."

Brand new house, zero signs of mold. All of our symptoms point to some sort of gas or VOC.

Thanks again everyone.

Where is your fresh air connected to.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Name:  Roof.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  45.1 KBName:  HPIM2876.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  40.1 KBTeddyBear,

Yes, the exhaust and fresh air intake are 2 plastice pipes. I will attach a photo. Also, I am attaching a photo of part of our roof. I assume the "white" pipe is our fresh air inlet??? To the right of that are the static dryer vent, exhaust fan and sewer stack,(which they just raised to over 3 feet.)
    Last edited by Heather432; 09-18-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Forgot photos

Here is another image.Name:  HPIM2888.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  45.8 KB

Everyone should have this type of co detector http://www.climatebydesign.com/co but most have the home depot model that alarms after 70ppm for 4 hours is detected and most of them are installed in a manner that allows "fresh" air to affect them through leaks in wall or receptacle cover and they don't accurately read the ppm in the home

Ok, the intake is piped directly to the burner. Its not a fresh air intake. its a combustion air intake. And is not able to communicate with the air in your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the information jtrammel.
    Would a good HVAC professional have something like this as part of their tool-kit?
    Also, do you know roughly how much they cost, and could I just rent one somewhere?

My suggestion is if you don't have your hvac guy check for CO with a proper
    CO detector. Or he doesn't want to do it, or do it properly then I would call your local gas utility or/and your local fire department. They usually don't have a charge for it.

Explain to them when the gas furnace is running you are getting the following symptoms.... and insist that either one of them check it. Course the fire dept will come arunnin usually with light and sirens

This needs to be addressed even if it means it isn't CO (Carbon Monoxide)

Do you have symptoms if you run a floor fan in the living area?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Do you have symptoms if you run a floor fan in the living area?
    I have run a Hepa air cleaner in the living area and do not have symptoms. It blows air out like a fan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast