Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was hoping to pose this question to the old HVAC/R dawgs such as myself in hopes to learn if the newer technology does better in the realm of UV indoor air quality as of late. I am/was sceptical in the old thinking that even if placed in R/A the air moves quickly enough to allow the bacteria to thumb their very tiny noses at the UV sentinel employed by those that purchased said equipment from us.

If it's feasible these days... are there better brands one would suggest?

I know that brand bashing is bad here, but what about support for certain brands?

One I've recently came into contact with was a company called Sanuvox Technologies. Are there any techs out in the field that has heard of them?

I'm all about both Positive and Negative input.

Just want to know what the current effective trend is for UV lights shining in our customer's ductwork.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

If I understand Sanivox's claim to fame it's thier system "focus's" the UV energy in a smaller area and is considered or in some terms measurably more effective. I guess the question is effective for what -

I believe most would agree UV is effective -- but for all intents & purposes only as a surface irradiation (the coil) and most resources would concure that UV is not highly reguarded as an air purifier as the contaninamtes move to quicly past it in the air stream - thus commercial models are built with literally banks of bulbs to ensure an IAQ effect.

I think the industry has settled in somewhat that partical count (filtration) is the primary IAQ while UV / Photcatalytic is germicidal and targeted at VOC's.

I suggest IAQ is still a moving target as technology advances. Air Advice seems to have thier arms around this the best.

I can't give a fact based comment on them.... but in my opinion 9 out of 10 are sold to make money, not to fix any IAQ problems. Then after that they aren't maintaned (bulbs replaced yearly as most say to do). I've worked on a few systems with them, when I find the bulb is bad, the customer was blown away it wasn't working, most chose not to put a new one in.

But... I think there's money to be made in this area... I just saw a commercial today for light bulbs that are OZone lights.... but don't create ozone.... just purify the air lol. Not saying it's right to scam people, but we all know it's happening.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

second wind is a name that has been around some time.I personally know a few people that have them.One guy claims he has not had a cold since he installed it two years ago.They say you do not notice it until after you turn it off & the smells of everyday life come back into your home.I think added to a decent media filter they are a good thing.I would watch out for the high ozone producing ones.I have removed at least one of another name because the h.o. was ozone sensitive.
    Take your time & do it right!

I have sold exactly two of these. both units went into houses where there were children with respiratory problems, and where the homeowners(also friends) asked for them. They report to me that the lights have helped their children breathe easier.

I have never been a fan of colored light bulbs doing magical things in the air stream or ductwork.

I have done several surgical and clean rooms over the years, never have I seen a clored light bulb in any of them?

Hepa and air movement only, I have seen electronic filters and believe in them more than a colored light bulb. it's kind-a like magic freon oil making your system gain a 1/2 ton. I could be wrong.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

I never installed one. None of my customers has died as a result........not yet, anyway.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Ah Dice, in your shadow I can truly rely on an informed response that verily sets the stage of serious yet cryptic bent from the one who has seen things that the very common folk who are haunted by the dream of such wisdom.

In light of your generous response, I owe you much. Others in our brotherhood in the HVAC/R world would certainly agree…

You owe me a beer for that!

Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

I have a Sanuvox on my system and I can tell that it works. The biggest difference is odors, the house doesn't smell like anything when it is on. There's no point it lighting scented candles because it pulls all the scent out of the air.

I just put a new bulb in over the weekend (which I got for the same price as a large pizza) and could tell in the first hour that the old bulb was worn out. I had been using a lot of constant fan in the summers and it was two years old so it was past time.

The key for these to work is airflow. The less the better. I've got 800cfm (theoretically) going through about a 9 by 25 inch duct. Anyway, I've been really happy with it so far.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    This is a timely subject. I was in touch with Sanuvox today. Their Ozone generating capibilities are well below government maximum standards..

Originally posted by ricm
    Ah Dice, in your shadow I can truly rely on an informed response that verily sets the stage of serious yet cryptic bent from the one who has seen things that the very common folk who are haunted by the dream of such wisdom.

Wha????

Thanks...........I think

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by dave and julie
    I have a Sanuvox on my system and I can tell that it works.
    I think it's in your head.......or should I say heads??

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

It certainly works better than my GE fridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast