Hoshizaki: P-trap on bin drain prevented dirty machine??

I interviewed an ice machine rental and service company in Florida last week and demonstrated on several of the machines in their shop that the condenser fan was sucking air from the drain line, particularly on the Scotsman and Hoshizaki (see attached). After he seeing the demonstration, one of the service techs related an interesting story. He said he serviced a Hoshi rental at a local night club that was constantly getting dirty, so much so that even a week later it was filthy. After working on it and trying everything, he thought one day that maybe ambient air was floating up the drain line (bin was up at counter height) and getting the machine dirty? So, willing to try anything, he installed a P-trap on the bin drain line and low and behold, the problem of excessive dirtiness vanished. It was not until he saw the demonstration of negative air flows of a Hoshi sucking from the drain in his shop that he understood why the P-trap worked so well.

Anyone else had this experience??? Anyone putting P-traps on ice machine drains?
    Attached Images Attached Images

im kinda new at these things, but air getting sucked in throught the drain line.....when the machine as ice in it?? also what kind of dirty?? in a bar theres a lot of yeast floating around because of the beer....is the dirty red?

scotsmans will blow air if im not mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    im kinda new at these things, but air getting sucked in throught the drain line.....when the machine as ice in it?? also what kind of dirty?? in a bar theres a lot of yeast floating around because of the beer....is the dirty red?

scotsmans will blow air if im not mistaken...
    Check out the attached photos of condenser fan sucking and blowing air through the food zone.

If you new to Ice machines, you'll soon see they pretty dirty messes. One of the reasons is this sucking and blowing, which is a defect of the machine and should be corrected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cleanice, i have probably cleaned a hundred ice machines..none were dirty inside the ice making area because of a condensor fan motor...

cleanice, i have probably cleaned a hundred ice machines..none were dirty inside the ice making area because of a condensor fan motor...
    primmers, yes, Totally understood.

Most people have not understood that ice machines get dirty because of invisible, airborne microorganisms, rather than the water.

You can see for yourself how ice machines get dirty in the 7 minute video on the home page of:

www.safeicehealthcare.com

I too was alittle taken back, at first, by this claim. However the data is pretty straight forward. Due to the design of the machines cond air infiltration does indeed contribute to accelerated growth within the water section. Either by pulling the bin into a negative, hoshizaki and scottsman, or through positive pressure pushing comp section air into the bin, manitowok. Over 15 years on these things myself and honestly never considered this. But that doesn't mean it ain't so. Learn something new every day.