Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Help in Florida replace AC system need suggestions

Hi AC professionals
    I been reading this forum today trying to educate myself .....Its great reading this info but confusing.... He is my current situation. I have a 10 yr old Rleem 13 seer 3.5 ton single stage air handler in garage ....Last years I had a service call on this unit. They had to replace the" Run cap" .. At that time the tech told me my condensor is running high 19.2 amp Max is 19.9 .. Now one year later I have had another service call ,they needed to replace the run cap again at no charge.... I watch the tech hookup meter and now reads 20.2 amp on condensor unit My wife has been complaining about our electric bill since we moved in 2.5 yrs ago...The tech told me """plan on purchasing new unit soon,since it pulling high amps ,meaning is worn out and can break at anytime"".
    True or Not ????

My AC company replacement suggestion is a Trane 16 Seer dual compressor with 3.5 ton 2 speed air handler ,with Honeywell Pro 900 stat.... They didnt supply me model numbers.... They quoted me ??????? includes install ,10 yrs parts and labor ...Does this quote sound right ??? .....What model number should I ask for ? Not sure about heat elements ? Air Filters
    Not sure If its an XR15 or Xl16I or ????? .I have read on this forum to stay away from the xL16i ????
    Called Home Depot for additional quote.....

2nd quote from same company is Trane 13 seer NO other details, installed with 10 yr parts and 1 yr labor for $?????and $?????for additional 9 yr labor warrenty ....

Please experts help me so I dont make a mistake and purchase wrong unit and overpay ???? My current unit when working cools the house (2200ft) fine but burns $220.00 plus per month in AC power ...

Few additional questions .. Does UV light really work and needed ?
    What is best filter to have them install ???? What about the Trane filter unit ? what is the additional cost .... Seem prices are different thoughout the country ...Any suggestion will be very helpful ......

Look forward to any suggestions since it my first AC unit purchase. BTW I am located in SW Fla about 5 miles from the gulf of mexico in Cape Coral ...Thanks in Advance ......

Is your condenser coil clean?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    Is your condenser coil clean?
    X2 When was the last time you had a complete coil cleaning?
    Doug

Stay away from home depot and find a contractor on the locator thats here on the website. There are many options available besides the most expensive machine you can buy on the market.

Neither the 16i or the 20i come in a 3.5 ton size. A dirty condenser coil can cause a high amp draw.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You should be able to remove the access cover, look at the coil section, or take a picture once you have the panel removed. I suspect a dirty coil as well.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

`
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-16-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: non AOP Member

X3 for dirty condenser coil. Airflow out of the top should go straight up with strong airflow. If you have weak airflow mostly blowing to the sides then it's time for a good cleaning.

When it does come time to replace, consider a heat pump if you live in an all electric home.

thanks everyone for suggestions however the coil has been serviced every 6 month and is very clean with strong ait blowing upward.yrs dryer vent is about 12ft away from condensor...anyone have suggestion on what trane unit I should install in $ range
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-16-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: price range

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-16-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Why Trane only? The Ruud/Rheem line offers good bang for the $$$ IMHO.

I am an American standard dealer...they and train are the same with less cost...

Brand is upto you..all the upgrades are up to you...if the old unit is running like it is...even the base 13 seer will save money....you just got foligure out what you can afford and what you want...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

hvacman2213

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast