Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If the 7/8" part of the suction line is accessible, and a 3.5 ton system is big enough, you could have it changed to 5/8 and have a Daikin Inverter Ducted system installed.
    http://www.daikinac.com/residential/...oducts&page=57
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by de63 View Post
    The system really only struggled for cooling on the hottest days. It dehumidified just okay but there are return air and duct balancing issues compounding the problem. The extremity rooms suffered the most of course.
    I'll check the size again, the tech said 5/8". Could be 3/4". Good question.
    Correcting the air balance issues may allow the 3 ton to handle the load much better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If the 7/8" part of the suction line is accessible, and a 3.5 ton system is big enough, you could have it changed to 5/8 and have a Daikin Inverter Ducted system installed.
    http://www.daikinac.com/residential/...oducts&page=57
    Hmmm, I have heard about these; They use a Daiken outdoor unit and a re-branded Goodman AH?

If so, could this be used as a replacement for a conventional system?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Yup, just re-verified- 5/8 OD soldered to 7/8 OD for what should be a 3.5 ton cond. on 4 ton coil...lovely, isn't it?...

guess they're fishing a new line. I'll go ahead and replace the whole run since we'd be switching from R22 to R410.

A cheaper solution is to replace just the coil and line set, swap the units and recharge with R22 again. Thoughts on that? Has the 3-ton unit been stressed too hard sucking through a 5/8" pipe for 9 years?

Bite the bullet and go R410 with a new unit so the new coil isn't a throw away should the condenser bite it in a year? The unit 'looks' in good shape, but couldn't tell you anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Hmmm, I have heard about these; They use a Daiken outdoor unit and a re-branded Goodman AH?

We may be seeing a lot more of these! Id like to see some Info on them.

Okay, to summarize where we are now. The 4 ton coil will be replaced(leaking), line set will be replaced(wrong size). Looking for feedback on whether we should keep the condensors and just swap them so they are with their correct respective coils. Any way to test the 'wear and tear' on a compressor? or leave the 3.5 ton on the 3 ton coil and replace the 3 ton with a new 3.5ton which would then be R410.

Open to suggestions.....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by de63 View Post
    Okay, to summarize where we are now. The 4 ton coil will be replaced(leaking), line set will be replaced(wrong size). Looking for feedback on whether we should keep the condensors and just swap them so they are with their correct respective coils. Any way to test the 'wear and tear' on a compressor? or leave the 3.5 ton on the 3 ton coil and replace the 3 ton with a new 3.5ton which would then be R410.

Open to suggestions.....thanks
    From post #13:
    The wise thing to do is start with the basics:
    Load Calc, then duct evaluation, then equipment sizing. (Note if this were new construction, the equipment sizing would come second with duct sizing to fit the equipment).

Usually, when one tries to 'fix' something by 'working around' given parameters... they either live to regret it... or end up spending too much $$$ 'experimenting'... Neither is a good solution.

Go back to the basics, follow them, and you will have a system working as it should... to handle the load. And get a contractor that will do the same.
    (end)

If I had a $1 (inflation you know, nickels are worthless) for every time someone was too busy or cheap to do the basics... and ended up with a big mess... I could buy a new van.

Do the basics! And if your contractor will not (or does not know how), then get a contractor that does.

Sorry to be blunt... however the quality and comfort of your system, as well as the energy bills will depend on doing the basics and doing them properly.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Thanks- I understand what your saying. I had one company run a manual J, all others made excuses not to. Takes too long, need too much info, etc, blah, blah. The one came back with needing about 3.7 tons of cooling for the upstairs. A separate company did a better job in evaluating the ducts, plenums and airflow. Lots of room for improvement there which we are doing regardless. Increased return CFM, duct size corrections, reducing splits, adding dedicated runs, adding manual dampers. So, given how the current poor setup performs, it would stand to reason a 3 1/2 ton with proper airflow would be a huge improvement. One company spec'd a 4 ton condenser cause I guess more is better, right? (at least with money anyway...) Everything I've discovered is a culmination of FOUR different AC guys/companies. Not one company came back with it all correct. Not sure they exist around here. I have two more coming this week and then I have to decide what to do. Hey, you're in Norcross, I'm in Alpharetta, do YOU want to come take a look?

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

Yes, Goodman air handler with Daikin's controls and EEV.
    Intended to replace conventional ducted equipment, currently available in 1.5 through 3.5 ton capacities.
    No gas furnace option yet, but the heat pump maintains its full heating capacity down to 14F.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    We may be seeing a lot more of these! Id like to see some Info on them.
    http://www.daikinac.com/DOC/Consumer...20Tri-Fold.pdf
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Yes, Goodman air handler with Daikin's controls and EEV.
    Intended to replace conventional ducted equipment, currently available in 1.5 through 3.5 ton capacities.
    No gas furnace option yet, but the heat pump maintains its full heating capacity down to 14F.

http://www.daikinac.com/DOC/Consumer...20Tri-Fold.pdf
    THX Mark!

Around here, an outdoor temp below 20 is RARE... so this system (without elec backup) could be a viable candidate for upstairs of a two story house (with conventional heat below). This would lower the cost of changing a two story house from one system to two... as one would not need gas or a heavy 240 circuit (elec back up heat) to the attic.

I did see you mentioned the EEV (I am thinking this is an electronic expansion valve)... is this something mounted in the AH during install?

The local Goodman dist (East Coast) is also a Daiken shop... I think I need to talk to my sales rep and arrange to do a couple Daiken classes this fall.

THX again!
    Last edited by ga-hvac-tech; 09-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Most copper comes in 50 feet rolls. at lease what I work with comes that length, not sure if you can buy it longer than that..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12