Trane vs Ruud
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane vs Ruud

Hmm

I live in Stanislaus County in Northern California which means it gets HOT during the summer. We've lived in this house for 7 years and this past summer... well lets just say, it is really time to get a new AC unit.

Anyway, I'm replacing a 5 ton system and I have two bids. One from Trane for a XL16i with a XV90 furnise. With changing the return, some duck work and zoning the estimate was $16k. And by the way, the customer service seems to be outstanding!

The estimate for Ruud, 16 seer outdoor unit, 90 degree furnace plus changing return, adding some duckwork and zoning the upstairs only, is XXXX

Just going on the price differance alone, if all things are equal, Ruud seems to be the best deal even if the customer service seemed to be a little on the light side. But Ruud and Trane compression system are totally differant.

I've read that scroll technology is better with systems over 3.5 tons. Anyone got an opnion?

[Edited by arpa on 09-30-2006 at 11:46 PM]

Please no pricing allowed to be discussed here, but both Trane and RUUD are excellent systems neither one is "any" better than the other, the most important thing you need to be concerned about is the installation.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

You read too much

Originally posted by ewhitake
    Ruud seems to be the best deal even if the customer service seemed to be a little on the light side.
    I missed that statement! I don't know were you got that, someone is blowing smoke and it's not in your face, I have sold RUUD for 15 years and there customer service is probably better if not equal to "any" out there and that is a fact.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I think he's referring to the dealer.

Hi- and yes I was talking about the dealer and no I don't read too much. If you're going to invest that much money, a little research isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned the pricing (sorry, won't do that again) was because there was such a differance! If as you say, instillation is the key, how do you tell a good installer over another? Is there someone I can hire after the install to check the work?

I've yet to find anything (other than a Trane Ad) that says they are better.

regardless, the installer is important, and you need to study them moreso than the equipement.

BTW, go with the Rheem Mod and the Rheem 16 SEER 2 stage unit (JEZ). You get 13 stages of heat, 2 stages of cool, dehumidification, Lifetime HX warranty (If it ever fails as long as you have it, you get a new furnace) and the compressor has a 10 year warranty with a 5 year unit replacment if the compressor fails. Stick a 10 year parts and labor warranty on it, and you'll pretty much live with no worries.

If you want to research...research the mod and let us know if you come up with any bad news. (you will not)

Trane and Ruud are not installing it,the guy gives your poor service before he gets your money,I would hate to see what he does after.I think of it as dating,if he treats you right on a date,chances are better after your married it will stick.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

You did not mention the model numbers of the RUUD. RUUD as with Trane has different levels of systems, so in order to make a good comparison you need to compare apples to apples. The Trane XL16i is in the top line model category. Even though the RUUD 16 SEER is one of their top line systems you did not include the AH for both units etc.. So there really is no way one can comment. Provide a full system look. Also based on tonage and AH match even though a system is advertised as a 16 SEER, it may not be so based on component used and tonage. So check both the Trane and RUUD matchup to actually see what you are getting in that particular tonage.

Thanks for the heads up. After posting my initial query I went back to the Ruud site and check their models. Since the estimater didn't include exact models in his estimate I've made another appointment with him and will ask him to be more specific.
    Also- do you know if there are independants who can be called upon to check an instillation. In previous posts I've been told that instillation can be more important then then equipment.

Originally posted by ewhitake
    Thanks for the heads up. After posting my initial query I went back to the Ruud site and check their models. Since the estimater didn't include exact models in his estimate I've made another appointment with him and will ask him to be more specific.
    Also- do you know if there are independants who can be called upon to check an instillation. In previous posts I've been told that instillation can be more important then then equipment.
    I doubt that there are any "independents" that will come to look over your installation.
    Most contractors don't want to get involved in that and make enemies.
    You can post pictures here for critique though...

Trane vs Ruud

There is a big difference between the two and it is mostly to do with the noise level of the furnace. Ruud / Reehm are louder when operate in the heating mode, so if your furnace located in a hall way, you are more likely to hear it at night when it kicks ON. As to cooling, Trane / American Standard units works slightly more efficient and their coil fins are of aluminum.
    If you gonna spend so much money you better get a 2 stage heat/cool system. The added cost for the 90% furnace should be compared to your cost saving.

Quote Originally Posted by AC Pros View Post
    There is a big difference between the two and it is mostly to do with the noise level of the furnace. Ruud / Reehm are louder when operate in the heating mode, so if your furnace located in a hall way, you are more likely to hear it at night when it kicks ON. As to cooling, Trane / American Standard units works slightly more efficient and their coil fins are of aluminum.
    If you gonna spend so much money you better get a 2 stage heat/cool system. The added cost for the 90% furnace should be compared to your cost saving.
    Talk about waking up the dead post.. 4 years old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast