Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hey, $397,440 is better than $93,000!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    $400k
    If you retire at 61
    You can live until you are 71!

like human beings. Caling them scabs, or rats is offensive, and one of the reasons why they dont want to be part of your organization. Right now they work open shop. you want to bring them in by calling them names? Treat a man with dignity and respect and he will be more open to conversation than when you disrespect him. Hel, when my customers disrespect me or any of my guys, I go out and have a conversation with them to straighten it out. If they dont want to apologize, they can hire someone else.

I've done more than my part to talk to HS, MFS and TBS guys since they're Union in some places.
    SR seems fiercely non-Union. The UA National says they're actively pursuing that company. That company has no problem conforming to the WalMart's demands of a $80/Hr. street rate, even thought the common street rate might be over $100/Hr.!

Lmao!!!

I wish i only produced something?

Or could sell?

Then i could contribute to my country and the economy!

This is my life dream!!!

[
    QUOTE=flange;14199611]does it bother you to make 41 when they make more, or does it give you something to work toward? If only you PRODUCED something. Being a team leader is such a waste of skills.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    like human beings. Caling them scabs, or rats is offensive, and one of the reasons why they dont want to be part of your organization. Right now they work open shop. you want to bring them in by calling them names? Treat a man with dignity and respect and he will be more open to conversation than when you disrespect him. Hel, when my customers disrespect me or any of my guys, I go out and have a conversation with them to straighten it out. If they dont want to apologize, they can hire someone else.
    I wish you were my boss I have never had that before. I have been screamed at spit at and once almost a physical altercation and the whole time my boss kissed there but.

My purpose of actively talking to these guys is to try to make us stronger. More members doesn't always equal lower H&W. UA Local 469 (all AZ) just increased that cost to $7.50/Hr. UA Local 412 (all NM and El Paso) has an H&W cost of $5.60/Hr. L#469's covers 80% and L#412's covers 90%. UA Local 469 has more members than UA Local 412.
    Back to the question, who here gets their insurance completely paid for, not on-the-check, and/or gets $200 or any amount put into a retirement account, not on-the-check?

Not I

These are the fringe break down for National signatories in So. AZ:

$34.70/Hr. On-The-Check (working dues are paid at 5% on this wage)
    $7.50/Hr. Health and Welfare (medical, vision and dental)
    $0.80/Hr. HRA (an auxilary fund to keep H&W going during unemployment)
    $3.40/Hr. DBP (a retirement plan alternative to the UA National Pension)
    $3.50/Hr. DCP (a 401K retirement plan)
    $0.10/Hr. ITF (the UA National Training Fund)

$50/Hr. is the Total Package Cost.

So if I went to say TBS, MFS, HS, etc. (which are all non-Union here), I'd ask for $1/Hr. than my hourly minus the mentioned 4%. That's $33.97/Hr.
    Then I ask this new shop for insurance at no cost to me.
    Plus $276/Wk in retirement.
    I'm pretty sure, regardless of my individual barganing skills, I'd be turned down.

One thing though, training is a joke here. So. AZ shops don't contribute to the JAC or the PIPE. This is because the Local 469 shut down the hall and training center after absorbing the Tucson Local.

I hope that the answer to this question is random,and I think they need me and I should do what I should do.

I would imagine that (almost) every non-union employer is part of a different health plan.

I have a non-union, non-HVAC job and the employer only pays for part of the health coverage because there is a biweekly deduction if you want health coverage. The coverage varies a LOT between part time and full time employees. Coverage costs increase when a spouse or child(ren) is/are added. Plans and coverage can change year to year, not to mention deductibles. Enrollment is open only once per year, and if you miss it, you have no coverage. Part-timers that do not work enough hours will get a bill if they don't earn enough.

This employer has a matching 401(k) plan that anyone with 90 days of employment is eligible for. The employer match is on a sliding scale (100% match up to 3% of contributions, no match over 5% payroll contribution), and if you quit or get fired before vesting in 5 years, they take back the match part. The 401(k) is self-directed, and you can choose pre-tax or after-tax plans.

On the other hand, my union health coverage is paid out of my hourly package. The union hall doesn't pay for it and the employer doesn't pay for it. If I am not working, I have no contributions made. If I am eligible (prior union coverage that has not lapsed), I can buy coverage through the self-pay program for a specified number of quarters if I can afford it- one cannot just keep buying it for an unlimited period of time.

This is a deal breaker for older members and retirement health coverage: If one does not work XXX number of hours for XXX years prior to retirement, you will not have retirement health care. This is forcing many members into early retirement because the shops won't hire older workers and there are no "55 and over" worker ratio provisions in the labor contract.

Pretty much the same for retirement and annuity plans- they are paid out of my benefits package for each hour worked, not by the hall and not by the employer. Unlike health care, a rank and file member cannot buy retirement hours. Once you get a break in service, you are done until/unless you re-qualify for benefits, which are not additive to the period before the break in service.

Rank and file benefit packages may be a drain on employers trying to be competitive, but union officer benefits are a bigger drain on their employers: the dues paying members. In my local, union officer retirement contributions to the International are 17% of gross compensation (roughly $11.00 per hour, about double the rank and file contribution- but the plans and benefit amounts are not the same).

Benefit costs are a real issue for employers bidding work and members paying dues. Employers may get less work, which means employee layoffs. Union members have their dues raised to cover officer costs. Both are beyond the control of a rank and file member, but that member is impacted by both sides.

Future union or local merges may decimate your expected retirement plan.

Union benefits are great, if you can get and maintain them.

It is great that some union people here are able to keep working based on their knowledge and skills. I know many people that have been unable to do so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123