Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I meant the non-Union guys. They keep mentioning %, but amount? SR and TBS, would've cost me, not the employer, about $185/Wk. Now that's beyond astronomical. One might say it's not about the money, but then it's about the total compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Out of YOUR benefit package!!

Got to keep membership up to keep hw down!

im non union i pay 85 a week and it includes my health,dental,401k they math my 4 % cant give a dollar amont cuse it changes depending on hours worked. company gives me 250 bucks a year to buy tools. 2 weeks vacation plus sick time i think a few days a year. i also have my dissability included in that 85 a week. my health insurance is for me my wife and two kids. i think i got it pretty good. my previous employer was 250 a week for health insurance for my family with none of the other benifits.most small shops just dont have the buying power to give good rates. i would personally never work for a small shop again because they never give decent benifits if at all.

So if you make $1500/Wk, do they give $60 toward your retirement?

Thats $93,000 after 30 years!!

Better than nothin

Buy yourself a retirement corvette!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Thats $93,000 after 30 years!!

Better than nothin

Buy yourself a retirement corvette!

$397,440 in 30 years working UA in AZ. That's w/o anything out of my pocket. I'm trying to see the big picture, but I can't yet. Maybe it's like that new KFC commercial, big's the new lil. So maybe that's why I can't see it.

$400k
    If you retire at 61
    You can live until you are 71!

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    $397,440 in 30 years working UA in AZ. That's w/o anything out of my pocket. I'm trying to see the big picture, but I can't yet. Maybe it's like that new KFC commercial, big's the new lil. So maybe that's why I can't see it.

our pension is the equivalent of 100 bucks per two thousand hours worked. So, thirty years at 2000 hours, pension would be three grand per month. of course guys chase the overtime, so those numbers grow. in additon, 6 bucks per hour into a seperate annuity. thats 12k per year without overrtime. in thirty years with no interest, thats 360k. our healthcae is closer to eleven bucks an hour including retiree supplement. base pay is 46.50/hr.

Ours is pretty much the same
    3 pensions
    Based on 2000 hrs
    $844.00 per month for every 10 years or 20k hours.

Plus about $12k a year into diversified investments.

Base pay is 41 but all the good guys make 45 or so

does it bother you to make 41 when they make more, or does it give you something to work toward? If only you PRODUCED something. Being a team leader is such a waste of skills.

we get $8.73 per worked hour going into our pension, with overtime we put away $20K+ a year towards retirement plus another $4K into the annuity, we only get $31 on the check some shops pay $2 or $3 over the scale,most of the rats shops around here offer around half of the union package, the biggest rat shop in town is doing away with overtime, they are staging the techs to work A"B"&C" shift on a $35K salary, its getting to the point where our union has a 200+ list of non-union techs waiting to get in, although we tried to organized them once and by a small percentage they voted to stay scabs.

Perhaps if they were treated with a little more dignity and respect, they would be changing their minds. Who wants to be a second class citizen? The reality is that as apprentices, we are taught a certain way of life, which is work hard, and let your reputation and skills keep you employed, not some seniority list as many think. So, to bring a guy in who isnt na ex apprentice, he will need to be treated a little better than members, not worse. Calling them names doesnt work. For their first few years, they should be given ample opportunity to be employed with help from the hall, allowing them to make a name for themselves. They should also be given first right of refusal to help themselves via night classes, so that the harder they try, the more employable they are, just like you and I.

For example: In my area, both Chiller Mechanics working for TBS or MFS and Supermarket Refrigeration Mechanics working for HS or SR (all non-Union) average between $27-34/Hr. Realistically only teardown guys working for TBS & MFS average toward the high end.
    The NSMA which 3 of these companies are signed to in different parts of the country covers all such work done by these shops. SJm start at $34.70/Hr. What the problem is?! How do you talk to these guys, flange?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast