Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Non-Union compensation.

Do any of you non-Union guys get your insurance or retirement paid 100% by you employer? Or do you have to pay it from your on-the-check wage, which maybe paid as extra for these two things? How does it work? Just asking. I need your .

I have seen non-union employers pay for 100% of the insurance. I don't have Insurance from my employer because my wife has better insurance. I make more than I did in the union with 100% match for 401k.

Sounds like you did well.

How much % do they match?

Or should i ask 100% of how much % of your pay?

Quote Originally Posted by FixItRight View Post
    I have seen non-union employers pay for 100% of the insurance. I don't have Insurance from my employer because my wife has better insurance. I make more than I did in the union with 100% match for 401k.

I would expect the answer to that question to be as random as names of service companies. Many owners themselves have on idea of what is fair, and how to setup a good plan. To complicate things, many insurers use language that only someone who has been denied can understand. you never get to know insurance lingo better than when you are fighting for coverage. I would venture to say that if you put ten plans side by side, they would have at least eight different coverages. Its just reality. Then look at how plans are setup, payroll deduction, health savings plans, where you save for the ability to pay deductibles,( but if you dont use it, they take it away) each year, instead of getting a big hit on a single claim. Its really all over the place. some pay a part, some pay none, some pay all. its craziness.

Retirement is another animal. many have 401 k with maybe some form of matching funds. Again, the rules are complicated, so smaller companies will be all over the place. I know, as I looked into it for me. I have found that even "modern" 401 k has some drawbacks, and for me, a roth is best solution above and beyond the union plans which I am part of still.

I honestly think it is intentional, whereby insurers try to confuse small business owners to take advantage. comparing plans is nearly impossible for the average joe.

match up to 3400 a year.

That seems good .
    I have some friends here that they match 3,4,5%.

Not much of a retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by FixItRight View Post
    match up to 3400 a year.

Non union. They pay all my supplemental health benefits and a dollar per hour to an RRSP (Canadian 401k)

I don't trust any single retirement non-union or union.

I get 75% of health insurance costs paid by employer with the remaining 25% deducted from my pay, 3% gross salary match paid into an IRA, and 2 weeks off a year. Non-union.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    That seems good .
    I have some friends here that they match 3,4,5%.

Not much of a retirement!
    The guys here from TBS say that IR brought their retirement down to 6%. Like the quote says not much of a retirement.
    I told these guys the signatories here contribute $6.90/Hr. - split between two pensions. It seems like I'm speaking in tongues to these guys!
    Back to the subject, do any non-Union guys receive an amount, let's say $5/Hr., not on-the-check in retirement?!

In a previous life I worked at a non union shop for 8 years. I paid 50% of my healthcare and 100% for my son. As far as retirement, I walked away with something like 12grand in ESOP. 8 grand after the gubmint got there share. That comes to about a dollar an hour for the length of my employment.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    In a previous life I worked at a non union shop for 8 years. I paid 50% of my healthcare and 100% for my son. As far as retirement, I walked away with something like 12grand in ESOP. 8 grand after the gubmint got there share. That comes to about a dollar an hour for the length of my employment.
    What does the % equal in USD cost? Our Health & Welfare cost just went up to $7.50/Hr. This figure seems astronomical, but the signatories pay it all. Nothing comes out of my pocket for it. Don't forget though, the H&W covers all dependents and pre-existing conditions plus has $1M per person coverage!!

Out of YOUR benefit package!!

Got to keep membership up to keep hw down!

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    What does the % equal in USD cost? Our Health & Welfare cost just went up to $7.50/Hr. This figure seems astronomical, but the signatories pay it all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast