Quick question - Commercial sizing

Quick question - Commercial sizing

I'm putting together a reference sheet to present examples of our warranty claims tiered payout to contractors. I'm looking for two common sizes of HVAC commercial RTU or split systems (not chillers). I was thinking perhaps 5-ton for small shops/offices and maybe 20-ton for medium sized projects... Do you think those would give a good range for common units? We can go up to 120 tons.

Thanks!

there's no "real" answer to that common size thing

the structure "takes what is needed"
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

As a contractor who does A LOT of factory repairs for a number of manufacturers of air handlers, I can tell you some things. First, it really depends on several things. For example, contractors in mid atlantic and other geographic hubs, in general, have higher costs of doing business, and wont be happy with 65 bucks an hour to fix your stuff. It costs more than that to get a guy out of bed. Second, every manufactuer has its quirks. Getting to know them, and understand is a process. its a marathon not a sprint. find good people and keep them happy, you will get it in return. Know that a guy who services five ton units, may or may not be able to do the bigger stuff. Know that everytime you dont get them answers in a timely fashion, it aggravates the fu** out of them, and you wil pay somehow. Know that they arent your bank, dont treat them as such, or it will cost you. Know that if you treat them well, the vast majority will do the same in return.
    Now, on you your payout structure. If you plan on holding costs ot a certain value, and have no flexibility, your units will quickly get a bad name. Why? there are ALWAYS intangibles that cost money. The site safety nazi making you do stupid shiet because he says so, the walk across four parking lots to get to your van because there is nowhere else to park, the general contractor who is up your butt because he wants answers now, and doesnt care if you are still troubleshooting the issue. He needs you to drop everything to explain to him what you are doing, and how it will be fixed, even though you dont know yet. These and many more are reasons why manufacturers get dinged.

If you dont allow a guy to do a job well, your reputation will suffer. I could cite example after example, but always remember, your local guys are your partners, eyes and ears. True, we cannot make you do it.......but we can make you wish that you had. I dont mean that maliciously, but rather, small claims equal shortcuts, which equal calls back. All the while, your unit is a piece of junk, capiesh?

I asked for an inch and you gave me a mile, great info!

We represent several OEMs doing their extended/labor warranty (that's all I'll say - not here to promote our services). We're hard at work to avoid the mistakes of other warranty companies that left a bad taste in many contractors' mouth. We have 3 tiers that can be purchased, the cheaper being most popular with small shops, and the higher price (and higher payout) more popular with large outfits who have more overhead. With commercial, we further increase the premium and payout the larger the unit gets.

I was just trying to find two common/frequent sizes that a commercial tech might run into more frequently, or perhaps that would represent two different markets. Any idea?