Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Obama wanted a more fuel efficient vehicle on the market for Americans.....a smart decision because we needed to complete with Toyota...but Chevy botched.
    Funny I didn't know Obama was president in 2006 when the Volt devlopment started. A concept car was debuted in 2007.

Oil prices were already on the rise back then, and with newer litium ion technolgoy becomming mroe widely available to automakers, the project was given the green light.

However, I cwiuld conceed that the project might have been axed, if GM had gone through a conventional bankruptcy and the Obama administartion could have nudged it along. Various grants, incentives and tax credits on hybrids that were extended and expanded didn't hurt either.

The basic platform was based on a Opel design... as are most of GM's new vehicles since all of their old compact and midsied designs were badly outdated. They didn't even have a subcompact design. The old Aveo was built by Dawoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    It just seems like the staus quo when it come to selling energy effecient products. Priced way to high for the most of the population. And to be honest with you, I wonder if the car companies really want to see electric cars do well, think about it, how many moving parts in a combustion engine 350ish? How many in a electric motor, 1?
    You can't exactly compare mechanical system with electrical driven system that way. You have to instead compare the opportunities for failure. An electric motor and drive only has 1 moving part. However, there are thousands of electrical components and electrical cables and connectors that could fail. You also have CVT's and/or some complicated planetary gearsets in hybrids.

I'd ask this, and I don't actually know the answer, but what are more reliable electric golf cars or IC ones? Probably electric. How about electric vs IC fork lifts?

Hey how many moving parts on a hvac sytem and how often do they break or malfunction.
    Why don't they make an internal combustable hvac system? An engine connected to a compressor and compare it to just a electric operated system. I know they already have right?
    When all is said and done obsoletism is built into all of the machinery that we buy, it keeps the economic engine running, especially the oil generated economy. Lets make nuclear cars that would be the way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12