Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate's gwama View Post
    Thanks for all the "serious" answers to my deadly serious problem.

Yes, he can usually figure anything out but he is a little arrogant and still has some streaks of rebelliousness and adolescent omnipotence.
    This is obvious to you because you are trained and to me because I have done so much research, but it is not obvious to people who know nothing about the aerodynamics of flues or combustion emissions. We are in Georgia where the public isn't educated about things like wood smoke and people here still think it is "natural and harmless". I have been labeled a crackpot (my daughter even suggested I needed therapy) because I have tried to educate my family and friends about the health impacts of wood smoke and believe building codes are in place to protect people not to find ways to skirt around ("everyone does it" :P).

HE IS NOT GOING TO LIGHT THAT STOVE AGAIN. I will do anything and everything to stop it.

I had just hoped some information from professionals about why this is a "no-no" might be an easier step than calling in the county or a stove installer.

I'm taking the pictures to a local store that has professional installers and hiring them to come talk to him.

Wasted your time and mine.
    You seem offended, sorry about that, but this is such an obvious and egregious error that little explanation is really needed. You knew better, with little HVAC training, inhaling combustion gasses WILL KILL YOU! THIS IS A LIFE OR DEATH ISSUE, not a no no. If you need more info than that, I can't help you, not sure anyone else can.

Yikes

From discription and pictures I would agree you have an unsafe condition that needs addressing by a trained and compatent professional. I can't tell from the pics if the 2 large pipes on sides penetrate the combustion section. Most likely just the outer jacket and combustion gas should not be present there, the house would be full of smoke. That should be checked and verified as well as if the manufacturer even recommends doing this on that product. I am very concerned about how you discribed the vent. If it runs up the outside wall of home and terminates below the roofline combustion gases can be drawn into home. Further more it is a huge fire hazard. Your homeowners insurance will most likely deny any claim if home burns to the ground. Further more your home owners insurance carrier will most likely drop you in a hot minut were they to see such a configuration. Some things should be left to trained professionals. This is one of those things. Death, serious injury, property damage, and loss of insurance are some things that you should discuss with him prior to lighting up this fall. If that doesn't work destroy the damn thing and have that arguement while everyone is still alive. Good luck.

Anyone who lives in that house is lucky their alive.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Take those pics to the local fire department or maybe his insurance co
    would be interested

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12