Thread: Trane XL19i one compressor failure. What to do?

Post Likes

Trane XL19i one compressor failure. What to do?

I have a Trane XL19i 4 ton unit which is 9 1/2 years old. The 1st stage compressor has been diagnosed as bad. The 2nd stage appears to be ok. I only have the standard 10 year parts only warranty. My service provider has recommended replacing both compressors (the parts are covered by the warranty). The cost to do the repair is a little over a $. The system is working now using the second stage compressor only. It appears I have 3 options:

1. Do repair. Parts warranty will run out in 6 months.

2. Purchase new 4 ton unit (entire system).

3. Do nothing now and hope that the unit will continue to work for a few more years before I have to replace the whole system.

I would appreciate any advice on what would be the best course of action. Thanks.

Jay
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-17-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    Was the cause of the failure given, it can make a difference in the recommendation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fljay View Post
    I have a Trane XL19i 4 ton unit which is 9 1/2 years old. The 1st stage compressor has been diagnosed as bad. The 2nd stage appears to be ok. I only have the standard 10 year parts only warranty. My service provider has recommended replacing both compressors (the parts are covered by the warranty). The cost to do the repair is a little over a $. The system is working now using the second stage compressor only. It appears I have 3 options:

1. Do repair. Parts warranty will run out in 6 months.

2. Purchase new 4 ton unit (entire system).

3. Do nothing now and hope that the unit will continue to work for a few more years before I have to replace the whole system.

I would appreciate any advice on what would be the best course of action. Thanks.

Jay
    If first stage compressor is a mechanical failure replace it alone, if it was a burnout. "electrical failure internally" both compressors would be replaced.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-17-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: price in quote

Post Likes
    replace both compressors is what I would do.

I would also ask company to replace indoor coil or at least expansion valve. There is a service bulletin for these valves.
    You should see 10 more trouble free years of service.

Post Likes
    I believe that the 1st stage compressor has an electrical failure. It immediately trips the breaker when turned on. The tech said it was shorted to ground I think. My provider said that Trane recommended replacing both compressors (they are covering the part cost for both) saying something about contamination and that the 2nd stage would end up needing to replaced anyway. What are the downsides of running with just the 2nd stage compressor? Thanks for the replies.

Jay

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    replace both compressors is what I would do.

I would also ask company to replace indoor coil or at least expansion valve. There is a service bulletin for these valves.
    You should see 10 more trouble free years of service.
    Is the cost to perform the service bulletin covered by Trane? Thanks.

Jay

Post Likes
    Not sure on the labor, been a while since I read it. I will check for you later, if the valve has been acting up it could have very well caused this issue.

Down side to running one compressor with the other one failed is you now have acid building in the system, soon the other will fail and it will be a big mess to clean up. Suction filters, refrigerant change and the possibility of shortening the lif of the new parts.

When the compressor shorts out it makes carbon, and burns oil. Just the same as if you took 2 wires and shorted them together

Post Likes
    I would replace both with the electrical failure as well. If you have been running the other comp with a burn out manifolded to it it will be dead as well pretty soon. A thorough system clean up would also be highly recommended to prevent premature failure of new compressors. Good luck.

Post Likes
    I would either do both compressors and the TXV valve, along with a thorough flush of the entire system... or
    A new system with a thorough flush.

Contamination in the refrigeration loop (where the refrigerant-freon flows) is a serious mess... nothing good will come from it.

The problem always seems to arise on the HOTTEST day of the summer, when nobody in the trade can get to it for a few days... whoops. MUCH better IMO to do a thorough repair during slack season (not hot or cold), so the system will be dependable when you need it.

That Trane unit you have is a good unit... no reason why you should not get lots of service from it after proper repairs are done.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    There is a service bulletin for these valves.
    Was there a service bulletin besides the one covering R-22 valves from the last half of 2007 through most of 2008?
    This one: http://markbeiser.com/HVAC/documents...-EN%5B1%5D.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Was there a service bulletin besides the one covering R-22 valves from the last
    half of 2007 through most of 2008?
    This one: http://markbeiser.com/HVAC/documents...-EN%5B1%5D.pdf
    No, you are right. I did not do the math for the build date of this system

Post Likes
    Not sure on the labor, been a while since I read it. I will check for you later, if the valve has been acting up it could have very well caused this issue.

Down side to running one compressor with the other one failed is you now have acid building in the system, soon the other will fail and it will be a big mess to clean up. Suction filters, refrigerant change and the possibility of shortening the lif of the new parts.

When the compressor shorts out it makes carbon, and burns oil. Just the same as if you took 2 wires and shorted them together
    X2 Don't even think about running for an extended period of time with one of the compressors grounded.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    If you removed the burnout and install some nice driers you may be ok.

There are several easy simple acid checks to make sure level is in range.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-17-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Jupiter Trch, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, questions or commentary here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in