Thread: Lon

Lon

what is the difference between a channel and subnet?

From the LonMaker User's Guide
    "Channel
    The physical media between devices upon which the devices communicate. The LonTalk protocol is media independent; therefore, numerous types of media can be used for channels: twisted pair, power line, fiber optics, IP, and RF, and other types."

"Subnet
    A logical collection of up to 127 devices within a domain. Up to 255 subnets can be defined within a single domain. All devices in a subnet must be on the same segment. Subnets cannot cross nonpermanent type routers."

"Channel Segment
    A portion of a channel. A single segment can be comprised of multiple sections connected by physical layer repeaters."
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

So a subnet has to have nodes all from the same channel??

By the definition that's what it looks like.
    What brings up these questions? I've done a lot of LON and never reply worried about such as it is automtically handled. I just payed attention to wiring guidelines, device count on a segment/channel and terminator(s).

I have a Lon/ niagra project that originally had ft to ft routers that lonmaker automatically gave the same channel id(#) to the subnet. The building had the routers changed out to ft/Ethernet routers. This made channel/subnet ids not to match. This change i suspect is causing issues with niagra. In discovery I am seeing controllers from other channels. Like it is reading thru routers to other channels. Sounds weird I know but this is what is happening